Towing, what size tires with stock gearing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing, what size tires with stock gearing.

I have a 98' Xl and was wondering what is the biggest tire size i should go with stock 3.73 gearing to pull a trailor with a atv/jet ski. The motor is 4.0 OHV. For lift i already have shackles, AAL, and 2'' TT. I am wanting to get a 2'' BL and throw on some 32 x 11.5 's and think that i would have some trouble pulling a trailor with the stock gearing and that big of a tire size upgrade. What are some of you guys pulling with stock gearing a bigger tire sizes? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are right. With that gearing and the tire size (32") you want and that load, I would recommend either to stick where you are or regear. A 4.10 should probably be enough for what you want to do.

-Drew

i pulled my 18ft boat last summer with the tt/shackles 31's and 3.73 gears and really didnt notice a diffrence from stock...just make sure you turn the o/d off unless on the highway. i think you will be fine

With that light a load, 32" and 3.73s is doable. 4.10s would of course be better, or 31" tires. I PMed you what I tow with my 32s and 3.7s, but I have the SOHC so that makes a little differance.
Make sure your X has had all of its fluids changed and install a tranny cooler if you don't have one. Start off by turning the OD off. Try it a couple times with the OD on and see how she shifts to determain which way to ultimatly go(OD on or off). A tranny temp gage would also be a good idea.
Don't try to be a drag car at stop lights and keep an eye on your temp gage, you should be ok unless you are pulling this every day.

Well, i just had the tranny rebuilt a couple of days ago and the guy said he put in a shift kit. I am not to familiar with automatic trannys but he said he does it in all of his tranny rebuilds to make them a little stronger. The tranny feels different now, i can actually feel the shifts. Before they were smooth as butter and then the rear sprag went out.

Where, and how much is a tranny cooler? And also, is there a big difference in visual from 31's amd 32's? I am pretty much just going for looks here and to me "the bigger the badder" but to an extent. I will be towing my 4 wheeler around a few times a week. Sometimes only about 10 miles and every once in a while a couple hours on the freeway. Also a factor that i am considering is gas mileage. Is it going to be a dramtic effect from the 31's and 32's with this gearing while towing my quad. Thanks again.

31's will be perfect for you.
Not all tires are the same size, some 31" tires are actually 30" and some are actually closer to 32".

He firmed up your shifts, this in no way makes the transmission stronger, its just a preference.

Well 31's are sounding better and better now. Do not have to deal with the BL which i have been dreading so much as it is. Thanks again for everyones help and quick responses. **This is why i love message boards**

i think you would be fine with a 32" tires, most of them are only 31.5" or 31.7" tall anyway

Back