• Register Today It's free!

Towing with '99 V6

MidSSouth

Reaction score
City, State
Horn Lake, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99
How much can I tow with a '99 V6 Explorer? I plan on hauling a 6'x12' Uhaul enclosed trailer (1,800lbs) plus about 300-400 pounds of cargo 400 miles. I don't have a hitch just the bumper. Is the bumper considered a class II hitch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 xlt v6 and my max bumper weight is 3500 lb and 350 lb tongue weight i pull around 1500 lb to 2000 lb with no problem make sure u evenly distrubite it or else it will be a very rocky ride. Just hit O/D and you should be fine.Also look in yur owners manual it should tell you in there about towing specs or sumthing, and a class 2 hitch is 3500lbs and 350lbs of tongue weight.

Anyone else? I'm using someone else's vehicle and don't want to tear it up. My biggest concern is if you use u-haul's website tool it doesn't list the Explorer, v6 or v8, as suitable for the task. By hit O/D you mean to turn it off not hit it as in run in OD right?

By hitting it i mean turn it on, O/D keeps it in a lower gear. You can turn it off when you get to higher speeds but I keep mine on when towing. It puts less stress on the motor with it on. Hope that kinda helps.

I think most posting that I have seen here suggest you not tow with the O/D on. I think O/D puts more stress on the whole power train.

I know that O/D will run the tranny hotter and no O/D rev the motor higher. I'm just wondering if the V6 Explorer can safely tow 2200lbs without tearing anything up.

the bumper can handle 3,500 lbs

with a class 3 hitch the truck will tow 5,000 lbs

you will be fine...but make sure to hit the O/D button to turn it off. its not good to tow with O/D on.

Some (Most) U-Hauls will not rent you a trailer if you are pulling with an Explorer. If it isn't listed as an approved tow vehicle by THEIR standards, they won't rent it. No ifs, ands, or buts. I went round and round with them a couple years back about it. They even bulked at renting a trailer to me and I had a 2002 V8 Exp with a factory installed Class III hitch and towing package. I think now 2002'+s are "ok" by them to tow with. I vow to never rent from U-haul again after the way I was treated. I found a local trailer sales that rented trailers. They had larger trailers, with less trailer weight, that didn't look like they were from 1953. And they were cheaper per day, week.

It goes back to the whole tire fiasco several years ago.

Yes,

It was after the whole Firestone Tire Fiasco that Uhaul decides that they don't want to rent to Explorers. I rented the 5x8 from them in 2000 and towed 1100 miles. Now, they won't even rent me a Garden Tracter Trailer, which is only 4x5 or something like that. No way.

I'd check your other options also. Uhaul has terrible customer service. That's in CA and CO. Every time i ever go into a store, no matter where it is, they are just terrible.

I've heard better things about Hertz, if you can find one around you. Or go with a local guy. IF those don't work, Buy one on Ebay! :)

mesa 33 said:
By hitting it i mean turn it on, O/D keeps it in a lower gear. You can turn it off when you get to higher speeds but I keep mine on when towing. It puts less stress on the motor with it on. Hope that kinda helps.

That is incorrect, sorry.

Tow with your OD off.

Good luck.

I tow a Jeep on a tandom trailer with my '99 SOHC with no troubles.

Be sure to have extra tranny cooling capacity.

Good luck ...........

Uhaul - Explorer Ban

MazdaGreg said:
Yes,

It was after the whole Firestone Tire Fiasco that Uhaul decides that they don't want to rent to Explorers. I rented the 5x8 from them in 2000 and towed 1100 miles. Now, they won't even rent me a Garden Tracter Trailer, which is only 4x5 or something like that. No way.

I'd check your other options also. Uhaul has terrible customer service. That's in CA and CO. Every time i ever go into a store, no matter where it is, they are just terrible.

I've heard better things about Hertz, if you can find one around you. Or go with a local guy. IF those don't work, Buy one on Ebay! :)

I was pissed about this and went to Uhaul Corporate and they told me the reason they banned Explorers was because they had too many lawsuite from Explorer owners who burned up their tranny while towing Uhaul's trailers and that they were negotiating with Ford about liability issues but that was 2 years ago and Explorers are still banned.

Back