Towing with a 99 mountaineer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 99 mountaineer?

It has 6 pins and if my dumb self had checked it earlier it has the gross trailer weight listed on the bumper of 3500lbs
But is that the vehicle tow rating or just the lower, bumper-mounted-ball tow rating? Not that I'd want to put 3500lbs on a bumper, but it seems like my bumper is rated 3500lb and 350lb tongue weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are right JC it is the bumper that is rated 3500lbs mine has the same tongue weight as well.

I think with a frame mounted 2" receiver the gross trailer weight is something like 5500 lbs.

The trailer rating for this explorer is 5,680. All the step bumpers are rated for 3,500 even on trucks with a limit of 2,000.

You should be fine with a 3,500 pound trailer. The factory tie package was just the trailer pre wiring kit (4 pin under the truck near one or both of the tail lights), the cooler, and limited slip axle.

The transmission is the weak link for towing. Heavier vehicles get higher tow ratings partly from their greater mass, which more safely controls a given load. But the transmission sees the most stress, and keeping the ATF cool, not over heated beyond a good range, that's a big key.

So as you tow more weight, I suggest having more cooler capacity. I'd add another cooler for towing a long distance with a medium to large load. Explorer owners have reported excessive ATF temps, with the 302 models, on long trips(say 3+ hours). That tells us that the factory trans cooler isn't really enough big serious towing. Before I had read that, in 2005 I went to NC and towed home my 99 Explorer, with my Mercury. I didn't have a way to measure trans temps, but I bet I was fortunate. I towed with the trans in "D" the whole trip, and changed the fluid a short while after that.

Drive it easy, not hard on the gas taking off if possible, check the tire pressures, raise the rears a little(if like me you keep the rears lower than the front normally(37/33)).

Have you checked Ford's ETIS sight to verify how your truck came equipped? You enter your VIN and click on something like "more details" to see every single thing you truck came with.
Can you provide the link to the "ETIS" site you're referring to, please?

upload_2017-11-26_12-57-4.png

Apparently I have spooks at my home trying to use ETIS behind my back???

Weird

Yea, really. I tried accessing it again using three other browsers and got the same results. Perhaps it's shut down on holidays and weekends to avoid hacking?

Worked for me the other day. Maybe trying to login multiple times is the issue. I just logged in it is working okay. Are you just searching the vin or logging in using an account?

When I search my VIN I get no real info except the color and body style.

Yeah I'm only getting color and body style now too, while it worked before they changed it. Here's one that gives more info, though some of it might be generic info, not just tied to the VIN #:
VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It gave me info just had to make an account

Back