Towing with a 99 mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 99 mountaineer?

grizzlyxjim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Looking to get a camper and pull it from Utah to Pa. The max weight on NADA guides says the tow capacity is 3500lbs. Is that accurate? I know these aren't built for towing but it's the only vehicle I've got. It does have the factory tow package and the superior shift kit upgrade. But it is only a V6. Anyone tow a camper with yours? What is the length and weight of your campers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s the rear axle ratio? Which 4.0, Sohc or ohv? What is the weight and size of the camper?

Stock axel ratio, sohc, I don't have the camper yet

Stock axel ratio, sohc, I don't have the camper yet

There's no such thing as a "stock" axle ratio. Check your axle code on the sticker on your driver's door jam. You didn't indicate which V6 you have SOHC or OHV. It makes a difference in available horse power/torque.

Explorer axle codes:
43 Open 3.08
41 Open 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Sticker has been ripped off at some point. Couldn't find any info with my VIN. Where else can I look to find it?

called the dealer it is 3.73 gear ratio

non limited slip. engine is SOHC

If it’s not a limited slip it doesn’t have the factory towing package.

Looks like 5,680 to me. This weight would also be effected by a lot of frontage as well.

A 3:73 isn't perfect for towing heavy loads, but it's decent with the SOHC engine. A 4:10 would be better. Have you checked Ford's ETIS sight to verify how your truck came equipped? You enter your VIN and click on something like "more details" to see every single thing you truck came with.

For some reason I was under the impression that the 3.73 diff only came in limited slip for these? I know mine which came with the tow package has 3.73 LS... some tow package though, to not come with a class 3 hitch.

3.73s definitely come in opens. The transmission cooler and low gearing are more important for towing on these than a receiver.

All my 2000-2001 Explorers and Mountaineers came 3:73 LSD's, but opens were available too. I believe being equipped with the "towing package" included more things than just the receiver. All my Explorers/Mountaineers came with the trans cooler, but only one shows that it was built with the towing package. My '01 EB shows on ETIS that it came with the towing package and it has an extra leaf on the rear springs and it deliver's a slightly rougher ride than my other V8's. The front torsion bars and long-gone OE shocks may be more HD too. There may also be some differences in the electrics too to support electric trailer brakes. Not sure.

Primary Features
Build Date: 20.05.1999
Vehicle Line: Explorer/Mountaineer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Version: Lincoln/Mercury Series
Engine: Cologne V6 4.0 EFI (SOHC)
Transmission: 5R44E/5R55E - 5 Speed Auto Trans
Drive: LHD 4WD (FTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: With Altitude Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: Amazon Green

Mine has a trans cooler and a tow hitch. Maybe a previous owner installed them.

and it has the place to hook up in the bumper for trailer electronics

Then in the minor features it mentions a non slip diff huh

Dark Graphite
  • Senter
  • 112"/2845MM Wheelbase
  • Louisville Plant Built
  • With Electronic Group
  • With Privacy Glass
  • Standard Ovrhed Console & With Rail
  • With Unique Full Floor Console
  • Front Floor Carpet Mats
  • Front Floor Mats With Logo
  • Rear Floor Carpet Mats
  • Rear Floor Mats With Logo
  • Sunvisor - Dual Drv Illuminated
  • Sunvisor - Dual-Pass Illuminated
  • With Load Area Cover
  • With Load Floor Reversible Mat
  • With Running Boards
  • With Integrated Roof Rack
  • With Lower Body Moulding
  • With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
  • With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
  • With Pass 2 Way Manual Seat Adjust
  • 4 Door Wagon
  • Rocker Tu-Tone Paint
  • With Front Licence Plate Bracket
  • Less Driver Air Bag
  • Less Passenger Air Bag
  • Std Duty Dual Front Shock Absober
  • With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers
  • 7J x 15 Deep Dish Aluminium Wheel
  • P235/75R15SL S/BLT OWL A-T
  • Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
  • Cologne V6 4.0 EFI (SOHC)
  • With Tilt Steering Wheel
  • With Speed Control
  • Elect Prem Stro/Cass/Disc/Clock
  • With NAAO Radio Frequency
  • With Front Fog Lamps
  • Amazon Green
  • Lincoln/Mercury Series
  • 5R44E/5R55E - 5 Speed Auto Trans
  • Explorer/Mountaineer

and it has the place to hook up in the bumper for trailer electronics

If your bumper electrical plug is a 4-flat, that's just for lighting. Lighting and trailer brakes are usually a 6 or 7 round connector plug.

I'll have to check and see. I just assumed and you know what they say about assuming haha. I do a lot of that. So theoretically though it would be okay to pull a 3500lb 13ft trailer? I know not ideal but I wouldn't have to worry about it being over loaded.

It has 6 pins and if my dumb self had checked it earlier it has the gross trailer weight listed on the bumper of 3500lbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I just feel like if it's a "package" it ought to come ready to tow without addt'l parts and tools, except maybe swapping the ball size.

I don't think my '98 w/tow package has any addt'l electronics/wiring for trailer brakes. Well yes and no. It came with a wiring harness to the left rear, bracket and separate trailer socket in a box, but only 4 pin for L/R turn signals, tail lights and ground. It looks like an intelligent trailer setup could use a state where both the left and right A/B outputs were live (happens pressing the brake pedal) to activate trailer brakes, but it seems like that would be an imbalanced, dangerous setup to have trailer brakes on already if barely touching the brake pedal. Then again I know nothing about trailer brakes.

tow.harness.png

Back