Towing without Tow Package | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing without Tow Package

Need to know if I can tow more than 2000 lbs with my 2014 3.5L engine with the standard chasis or is a different towing package needed.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with one on the same topic.
With the factory tow package the Explorer is rated for 5000 lbs. Without it and an aftermarket tow hitch, it is 2000 lbs. The rating cannot be changed once it leaves the factory.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Breaking up the legal begal talk for a moment.... i have a custom built 2014 explorer limited and Did not somehow add the tow oackage. How do you go about getting the button and a ford one installed... i just want it to tow my kiddos bikes...never dreaming I would use one since we have a F250. I don't want an after market one. It is possible to get a ford one.a

You can install the factory one. It takes a LOT more work than an aftermarket one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkllIGbjV7s

I decided to go with the aftermarket one and I'm mostly happy with it. I have slightly less rear clearance but it hasn't stopped me once yet.

You can install the factory one. It takes a LOT more work than an aftermarket one though.
I decided to go with the aftermarket one and I'm mostly happy with it. I have slightly less rear clearance but it hasn't stopped me once yet.
It would still be 2000 lbs even if you install the factory Class III hitch.

It would still be 2000 lbs even if you install the factory Class III hitch.
Meaning that I could install it but it would not be safe or legal?

Meaning that I could install it but it would not be safe or legal?
Don't know about safe but legally it will still be rated for 2000 lbs. As mentioned, the assigned rating cannot be changed once it leaves the factory.

Peter

We didn't get the tow package and I don't really anticipate towing anything with the Explorer (I have a truck and an 18' 10,000# lowboy for that). However, I thought about buying the receiver hitch and installing it in the event that we ever towed a light load such as a mini-trailer (less than 3,000#) for softball, or camping, etc. Am I taking a huge risk in doing this without having the factory installed transmission and oil coolers? Would I be better off buying those parts and plumbing them in (sounds like a lot of work?)

Thanks.
What engine do you have?

Back