• Register Today It's free!

TPMS and rotating tires

2020Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited 4WD
So I decided to not continue hijacking another somewhat-related thread and create a new one.
I've been looking through the 2020 Explorer Operator's Manual with growing frustration on the lack of any mention of needing to proactively do something to "relearn" wheel positions after a tire rotation. This leads me to believe what I have read that the vehicle will do this after a short drive. As I'm getting ready to do an oil change/rotation, I will be testing this.
I did decide to email the closest stealership to me, and I did a response from their service department:
"As far as rotating tires, the tires will need to be relearned to the new positions manually. "
So I don't know if this is a way for them to charge for a service that isn't needed, or they aren't sure either?!?
Looking for some sage advice from those of you that have owned your Explorer longer than 6 months. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pick up is located at each wheel location from what I've seen.....I've rotated many times on 3 Explores 2018, 2020 & 2021 and this was not an issue. Now if the rest of the vehicle was engineered as well I'd be very happy.

The manual way works but the car does learn it on it's own. I can state this for a fact because I switch to winter rim with it's own TMPS and it learns the new set just fine.

So I don't know if this is a way for them to charge for a service that isn't needed, or they aren't sure either?!?
Looking for some sage advice from those of you that have owned your Explorer longer than 6 months. ;)
When took mine in to have the winter wheels put on the tech used his scanner tool to reprogram the TPMS. I believe it is all part of the cost to change the wheels. There was never a separate cost. Now I no longer have a separate set of wheels and just use the OEM wheels to mount the winters on but they still rotate them and scan them. BTW, I switch them front to back and back to front. No crossovers.

Peter

... BTW, I switch them front to back and back to front. No crossovers.

Peter
Ouch! I've always followed the book on tire rotations. I dropped Discount Tire when I learned they didn't follow the book and refused to do it right. The folks who do mine now are puzzled when I insist on following the book. I have to show them every time (the dealer, too).

The manual way works but the car does learn it on it's own. I can state this for a fact because I switch to winter rim with it's own TMPS and it learns the new set just fine.
+1 when I put my winter set back on the car automatically recognized the new set just fine, no reprogramming needed. Both my summer set and winter set has their own TPMS sensors.

When took mine in to have the winter wheels put on the tech used his scanner tool to reprogram the TPMS. I believe it is all part of the cost to change the wheels. There was never a separate cost. Now I no longer have a separate set of wheels and just use the OEM wheels to mount the winters on but they still rotate them and scan them. BTW, I switch them front to back and back to front. No crossovers.

Peter
I'm curious - do you run directional tires that you do not cross sides when rotating? Page 358 in my Oper. Manual shows crossing the fronts to the rear and brining the rear tires directly forward for both RWD & 4WD vehicles. If I were running directionals, I would do as you're doing.

tire_rotation.jpg

+1 when I put my winter set back on the car automatically recognized the new set just fine, no reprogramming needed. Both my summer set and winter set has their own TPMS sensors.
I think this scenario is different, as (I assume) someone initially learned the sensors in your winter tires to the vehicle. [which leads me to the question - how many TPMS sensors can our cars remember?!?] My situation is that I'm only moving the wheels to different spots on the vehicle. I've now heard that the vehicle will figure it out on its own, to the dealer has to intervene, to a Youtube video showing how to get into "TPMS programming" mode. As my oil life is now close to 0%, then time has come to experiment. I'll post back what I learn.
Dave

I'm curious - do you run directional tires that you do not cross sides when rotating? Page 358 in my Oper. Manual shows crossing the fronts to the rear and brining the rear tires directly forward for both RWD & 4WD vehicles. If I were running directionals, I would do as you're doing.

View attachment 438737
This is how I've always done it as well. Exception being my Mercedes which had a staggered setup. Went to non-directional so I could at least go L<>R
Hated doing it on our Flex, those 20s were quite heavy.
We'll see how it goes with the Exped & this Explorer, when it's time. Might need to get a new jack, as my low-profile might not have enough height to get either sufficiently in the air.

I have run directional tires but not always. I guess the practice was from many years ago when radials were first introduced. At that time there seemed to be some issues with running a tire in the reverse direction to the way they were 'broken in'. The belts would begin to separate. It's probably no longer an issue but I like to stick with the practice. BTW, all Owner's Manuals I have seen show the crossover method you posted.

Peter

So I did my oil change (once I figured out which bottom shield to remove) and then moved onto tire rotation. Wow - those 20" wheels are heavy! As I mentioned earlier, been getting a lot of different thoughts around what I need to do, or not do once I rotate the tires. I did find in one of my searches a procedure to re-train the TPMS at each wheel. My thanks to Akins Ford in Georgia for this article:
How to Reset the Tire Pressure Sensors on Your Ford Vehicle

So in case the link would ever go away, this is the procedure I used, and it worked! As we don't have a "key", I left the fob in the vehicle during the procedure.

Part 1: Activating Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Mode​

1. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
  2. Without starting the engine, turn your key to the ON position.
  3. Quickly switch the hazard flashers on then off 3x.
Note: Once your vehicle enters TPMS reset mode, the horn will sound once and a message will appear in the information display. If this does not occur, repeat the sequence.

Part 2: Re-Training Your Tire Pressure Sensors​

1. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  2. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  3. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  4. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  5. Turn the ignition off.
Note: If at any point in the re-training process two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful. Please try repeating the sequence from PART 1: Activating TPMS Reset Mode.

Dave

^^ don't forget to reinflate your tires to the correct PSI. :)

Those wheels are heavy and that is one reason I have the dealer do the twice yearly wheel swap and have them store my winters. They also do the training as part of the service.

Peter

^^ don't forget to reinflate your tires to the correct PSI. :)

Those wheels are heavy and that is one reason I have the dealer do the twice yearly wheel swap and have them store my winters. They also do the training as part of the service.

Peter
Man, you ain't kiddin'. It 'bout wore me out taking the wheels off for the "ST" center caps. Puttin' 'em back on was worse.

Back