Rotating Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotating Tires

Frustrated

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I was thinking of rotating my tires, 2011 2WD Explorer, about 13,000 miles.

2 Questions:

1) Looks like the manual suggest a cross rotation method. I haven't done that since migrating to radial tires in the early 80's. Always told to keep them rolling the same direction. Comments?

2) How about jack and jack stand points. Need to be able to find a SAFE spot for floor jack and then a SAFE spot for the jack stand. Obviously, both cannot use the same spot. Thoughts?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 Questions:

1) Looks like the manual suggest a cross rotation method. I haven't done that since migrating to radial tires in the early 80's. Always told to keep them rolling the same direction. Comments?

2) How about jack and jack stand points. Need to be able to find a SAFE spot for floor jack and then a SAFE spot for the jack stand. Obviously, both cannot use the same spot. Thoughts?

thanks

1) This is how the dealership does it, too. Do it.

2) Use the spare, to move your rotated tires around.

2 Questions:

thanks
I have had 4WD/AWD for just over 10 years and have always gone front to back and back to front. Never used the spare and never switched sides.
The manual also does not take into account that many tires today are unidirectional, like my Yokohamas. If I switched sides, they would be running backwards according to the tread and the direction marked on the tire. I instruct my dealer not switch sides when changing my wheels. Other tire shops that I went to with my Highlander, also did not switch sides.
Do what you are comfortable in doing.
If you plan to do it yourself, you will also need a torque wrench to ensure you apply the proper torque (100 ft-lb) and re-torque after 100 miles or so.
This is very important.
If your spare is like mine, it is an emergency tire only and should NOT be included in the rotation.

Peter

If your spare is like mine, it is an emergency tire only and should NOT be included in the rotation.

Peter

Misunderstood.

Remove right rear tire, put on spare.

Remove left front tire, replace with right rear tire.

Remove spare from right rear and replace with front left.

Repeat with other side.

Misunderstood.

Repeat with other side.

Nice.... that's a good idea, saves you from having to have to jack the whole thing up.

I never said to use the spare as part of the final set-up. I said use the spare to move the rotated tires around.

For example, take off the front tire. Mount the spare there. Then take the front tire and move to the rear. Take off the spare, and re-mount the rear tire onto the front. Get the idea? No need to use a jack stand. The spare is the "jack stand".

Misunderstood.

Repeat with other side.

Beat me to it. You understand what I was suggesting.:)

And this gives you the opportunity to make sure your spare actually has air in it.

Oh, and next time, rotate your tires at about the 6-7,000 mile mark. Don't wait till 13,000 miles.

I never said to use the spare as part of the final set-up. I said use the spare to move the rotated tires around.

For example, take off the front tire. Mount the spare there. Then take the front tire and move to the rear. Take off the spare, and re-mount the rear tire onto the front. Get the idea? No need to use a jack stand. The spare is the "jack stand".
Okay, I guess I didn't understand your post correctly. But still if you have unidirectional tires, like I have, they should be kept on the same side.

Peter

Yes, I know, 13,000 is too long. Have way too many things going on in life right now...

thanks.

Yes, I know, 13,000 is too long. Have way too many things going on in life right now...

thanks.
That is one thing I don't have to worry about. I only put on about 5000 miles per year and use Winter tires. That means that my Yokohamas only get roughly 3k miles on them before the Winters go on. Since a free tire rotation is part of the oil change package, I get the all- seasons taken off and Winters put on without additional cost. Because I change the oil every 6 months the reverse swap doesn't fall within the oil change interval.
Happy motoring.

Peter

Frustrated, yeah way to long, if you drive 15K miles on a year figure rotating them about every season. 4 times per year. Thats alot of work to do it yourself with a tire jack and all.

So lets see, if it takes you one hour to do it, from set up to putting everything away, including washing your hands. My time is worth 50 Bucks and hour. Most jiffy lube, speedy oils will rotate your tires and in some cases balance them for 20 bucks. I would pay the 20.

However being a cheap son of ******, I have costco do it for free, rotation balance and fill them up with Nitrogen....for free. They also have cheep gas too.

No I don't work for them, but I do admire their business model.

I discussed this with my daughter whom I was "teaching" tire changing, etc. to.

Problem is, who to trust?

Last trusted mechanic who had the wheels off the other car torqued them to 140 ft lbs (probably just zip gunned them on - he knows better, we even discussed).

Couldn't get them loose with the tool from the vehicle, needed breaker bar.

Dealer will do oil change on Explorer (very messy due to poor design - why does SO much oil come out when you take the filter off? NEVER had that with any car especially one with a vertical filter - or do they WANT you to take to dealer...) and rotate tires for $36.95

PLUS a couple hours of my time sitting in the waiting room plus a 45 minute round trip.

Then when I get home I have to double check everything anyway.

thanks.

I discussed this with my daughter whom I was "teaching" tire changing, etc. to.

Problem is, who to trust?

Last trusted mechanic who had the wheels off the other car torqued them to 140 ft lbs (probably just zip gunned them on - he knows better, we even discussed).

Couldn't get them loose with the tool from the vehicle, needed breaker bar.

Dealer will do oil change on Explorer (very messy due to poor design - why does SO much oil come out when you take the filter off? NEVER had that with any car especially one with a vertical filter - or do they WANT you to take to dealer...) and rotate tires for $36.95

PLUS a couple hours of my time sitting in the waiting room plus a 45 minute round trip.

Then when I get home I have to double check everything anyway.

thanks.
I guess each dealer has there own system. At mine, the tire rotation is part of the oil change package ($39.95), They supply all the free coffee you want and also wash and dry the vehicle at no charge with every service.
I use the time to sit and talk with my salesman, the service advisors and check out the showroom. My round trip is about 50 minutes. There is another dealer less than 5 minutes away but I chose the other because of better service reports from customers. It is a small town dealership that has been around and family owned for 62 years.

Peter

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing Peter, here its call"the works" and its 34.95 and occasionally its 29.95 Fluids checked and topped off, oil,filter and rotation.

I guess each dealer has there own system. At mine, the tire rotation is part of the oil change package ($39.95), They supply all the free coffee you want and also wash and dry the vehicle at no charge with every service.
I use the time to sit and talk with my salesman, the service advisors and check out the showroom. My round trip is about 50 minutes. There is another dealer less than 5 minutes away but I chose the other because of better service reports from customers. It is a small town dealership that has been around and family owned for 62 years.

Peter

Peter,

Sounds like our dealership! We started in 1951, small town, no pressure and good reports on dealer rater.com ! Few and far between, for sure!

Same here from the mid 50s

Anti Seize a Great Point

[/COLOR][/B]

I haven't had to change mine yet because I bought a new 15' Sport on Monday. If I hear or feel any rear dragging ass pads then I will replace them, along with the rotors, and use generous amounts of the nickel based anti-seize on the caliper brackets. I might just do it anyway to ease my mind when I rotate the tires at 8-10K... If you live in the "Rust Belt" and have more than 20K on your Explorer, I'd plan to free up 2-3 hours on a Saturday morning to perform some preventative maintenance for peace of mind...

My buddy and I did this on my 2011 just yesterday! Anti seize applied and I did an "X" rotation this time. Have 66K miles on these tires (originals) and hope to squeeze another "rust-belt" Winter out of them! Excellent Pointer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My buddy and I did this on my 2011 just yesterday! Anti seize applied and I did an "X" rotation this time. Have 66K miles on these tires (originals) and hope to squeeze another "rust-belt" Winter out of them! Excellent Pointer!

Solid preventative maintenance there! Good job rotating the tires and getting 66K so far out of them. The fact they've lasted that long means you've taken care to keep them rotated, well balanced, and aired correctly at all times. Make sure to check the tread depth though; (as I'm positive you do) with a depth gauge for the minimum meat allowance. What are these Hancook's, 55K mile all season performance tires? You might be able to push another 6 months out of them. Kauffman Tire matches Tirerack's prices. If you talk to the manager he/she will usually not charge you the shipping that Tirerack would have charged you if you would have ordered from them; in order to keep/have your business. The reason I say usually is because I had a manager match Tireracks prices but then try to add on what TR would have charged to ship each tire as well, ($30 each tire.) I told him I'll do business elsewhere, (the Kauffman's 5 miles away), and got the shipping charges waved! Just a thought for when you're ready to put some new meats on your Ex...

Back