TPMS/Low Tire Pressure Warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS/Low Tire Pressure Warning

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Sorry if this is a re-hash, but my patience is wearing thin.
Service station patched a flat today on my 2013 XLT.
Low tire pressure warning light is still on after driving a good 30 miles.
Will it ever go out on its own?
Do I need to buy the $14.99 Amazon reset/re-learn tool to do it?
I know I can bring it back to the service station, but they said just drive it and it will go away. Duh...
Thanks in advance.
Larry
BTW, does the magnet or releasing air pressure thing work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind...I guess. The "Low Pressure Warning", turned into a "TPMS Fault" this morning. Service guy says his reader doesn't even recognize the left/rear sensor anymore. He says batteries in them die, and sometimes just disturbing them a little makes them non-functional. Seems like a coincidence since it was working fine until the tire was removed yesterday to patch a flat, but I watched him do it and he was careful. It be what it be, and a new sensor is on order and will be installed Monday.

People tend to forget that these sensors have batteries in them. If you rotate your tires regularly, you better remember which wheel has the new sensor. Maybe put a different or coloured valve cap on it. :)

Peter

My tires get rotated every 6-8,000 miles. Why is it important to know which wheel has the newest sensor?

You really don't have to but you should be aware that there is one that will outlive the other three.

I just plan on replacing all 4 when I get new tires and I have one sensor that was just replaced last year. So three sensors are 4 years old and one is 1 year old

My tires get rotated every 6-8,000 miles. Why is it important to know which wheel has the newest sensor?
Just as JAPeterson mentioned, you may get the same battery issue again and I think you'd want to know which wheel has the new battery in it.

Peter

Interesting story, that may not be related to the op's issue.

I had an issue with a slow leak on my 2016 Explorer Sport. Dealer could not find anything in the tire, cleaned the wheel bead & applied bead sealed. Still leaked. Out of desperation, I installed fix a flat in that tire. Being a former short time tech, I knew the fix a flat was a bad idea, although Ford included it in our 2011 Explorer with the tow package. Still didn't fix the leak. I tracked it down to a bad valve stem core.

The fix a flat eventually killed the sensor and I got the fault message. 6 months later I finally bought a new sensor. After they installed it (cleaning out the fix a flat from the tire, they tried to retrain the sensors. The last sensor in the sequence would not learn. I then bought a training tool an a new sensor. After training the sensors (new one just laying on top of the installed 'bad' sensor, the training was a success (showed up as 0psi). Drove for about 3 miles and the "new dead" sensor started working again. Weird...

New technology is both a blessing and a curse. After all this aggravation and research, on my way into the service center this morning to get the one defective TPMS unit replaced, the fault message disappeared. This after 3 long days of driving. Odd, but good I guess. Maybe like a toothache going away as you pull into the dentist's parking lot.......

Take out the air from tire until 30 psi then give him air until 35 psi , do this for all tires

Back