TPMS Module Location? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Module Location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember now, but both sets were from different vendors. I'm not looking for new sensors, I'm looking for the location of the module that reads them. They, all 4 need to go to a central monitor.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

I don't remember now, but both sets were from different vendors. I'm not looking for new sensors, I'm looking for the location of the module that reads them. They, all 4 need to go to a central monitor.

What Peter is saying is the sensor for the 2016+ explorers is part # F2GZ-1A189-A which is different then you bought. Chances are, it is the sensors being wrong causing your issue, not the module.

I replaced them because 2 of the old ones wouldn't let me put air on the tire.

The TPMS sensors will not prevent you from adding air. If there is a problem adding air it would be the valve stem (link) which can be replaced separately from the TPMS itself. Also, where are the old sensors? if they come close to your vehicle at any time they might confuse the receiver unless the new ones are properly trained to the vehicle (with the old ones away).

Peter I’m unable to program my tire sensors. Vehicle does go in to programming mode but does not recognize the sensor when I attempt to train them. 2017 ford explorer PIU. Also I’m unable to get the truck in to programing a remote.

Peter I’m unable to program my tire sensors. Vehicle does go in to programming mode but does not recognize the sensor when I attempt to train them. 2017 ford explorer PIU. Also I’m unable to get the truck in to programing a remote.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious as to why they need to be 'trained'. Did you replace them or put on new wheels with the sensors already in them?
Some members have mentioned that driving the vehicle will accomplish the task but I don't know if the Interceptor is different. Does your PIU display all 4 tire pressures or is it just a warning that one of them is low?

Peter

Just curious as to why they need to be 'trained'. Did you replace them or put on new wheels with the sensors already in them?
Some members have mentioned that driving the vehicle will accomplish the task but I don't know if the Interceptor is different. Does your PIU display all 4 tire pressures or is it just a warning that one of them is low?

Peter
It does not show tire pressure for any tire and shows the icon for low air. Does anyone have a picture or module or exact location. I extracted the module but did not locate it

................................. I extracted the module but did not locate it
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You took it out but couldn't find it??
I have attached the location of where it is in earlier models. The 2017 may still be the same.
You didn't answer this question, "Did you replace them or put on new wheels with the sensors already in them?"

Peter

TPMSmodule.jpg

I have attached the location of where it is in earlier models. The 2017 may still be the same.
You didn't answer this question, "Did you replace them or put on new wheels with the sensors already in them?"

Peter

View attachment 438391
I have looked for the module it’s not located under the console. I did not see it under HVAC. I have few plug that are not connected to anything but they don’t appear to be same for TPMS receiver listed for year make and model. Also I mentioned my keyless entry remote don’t program either.

Peter

View attachment 438391

Peter

View attachment 438391

Peter
Im sorry I bought the car with the light on changed the sensors thinking that will solve the issue it did not. I decided to take the middle console out did not find the actual tpms module. I also took the radio screen out but nothing. I have two harnesses that look nothing like the tpms receiver would fit by comparing the pictures to them.

The TPMS "module" is integrated into the BCM, it's not a separate module.

However, there is an external Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) mounted behind the RR quarter panel trim (between the C and D pillars).

The TPMS "module" is integrated into the BCM, it's not a separate module.

However, there is an external Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) mounted behind the RR quarter panel trim (between the C and D pillars).
The tpms that built in BCM is their fuse or do I look into chancing BCM?

I always suggest properly diagnosing faults instead of guessing and swapping parts willy-nilly.

Diagnostics start with properly scanning the subsystem for any fault codes that will guide you. An "el-cheapo" code reader won't be enough, you'll need a scan tool or OBDII interface (with computer or phone/tablet) that can read both the high speed and medium speed CAN buses.

As far as programming remotes, the FSM indicates that must be done with a scan tool. There are no provisions given in either the FSM or the owner's manual for the '17 PIU for self-programming remotes. I see a lot of results from a Google search that give instructions but I have no idea as to their validity or applicability. This thread appears to have valid information: 2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming Read the whole thing before doing anything else.

Im sorry I bought the car with the light on changed the sensors thinking that will solve the issue it did not. I decided to take the middle console out did not find the actual tpms module. I also took the radio screen out but nothing. I have two harnesses that look nothing like the tpms receiver would fit by comparing the pictures to them.
Do you recall the part number of the sensors? I believe there are different sensors depending on the type of TPMS warning display that you have.

Peter

Back