• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Module

BigNutz

Reaction score
City, State
Southern MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
So ever since I got the Exploder, the TPMS Error dummy light comes on at every start, which of course is easily reset. The guy who sold it to me said that when he had bought new tires, the place that replaced them didn't program them (really?).

So I was having a major job done (Xfer Case replacement) so I figured now was the time. Well the tire guy tested all the TPMS sensors and said 3 of the 4 were transmitting, and replaced the bad one. He could not however get them to sync to the vehicle. He suggested that the module itself was bad. He also said that my aftermarket GPS head unit could be the culprit, but that is rubbish. It didn't work when I had the stock radio in and the systems don't touch each other.

So I can't this module anywhere, I looked on eBay and Fortdparts.com with no luck. Has anyone ever had this issue, and/ or do you know the replacement part number?

I appreciate the help. Happy New Year!!

BN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TPMS module is the Smart Junction Box, so I hope that is not your problem. Here is a description of how the TPMS works:

Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency signals, to the smart junction box (SJB). TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressures must be adjusted and the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate.

For vehicles with the same tire pressures for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system.

What message do you see in the message center?

When a new wheel sensor is installed (Ford has several models that are not interchangeable) then its ID must be updated to the SJB by a training process. The training process requires a tire pressure monitor activation tool (readily available for about $30) and all 4 wheels must be "trained" in sequence (LF, RF, RR, LR) in a time sensitive procedure away from other TPMS cars or consumer electronics. I can give you the procedure but Ornery can do it better.

Doesn't sound like your tech followed the Ford procedures.

Good luck.

I feel for ya BN. I don't have the TPMS feature, and I'm kind of glad of that. I'm pretty sure I'd catch a low tire before it got to 25psi anyway. I'm also curious how long the batteries last in those sensors? Seems like it would be a good idea to replace them whenever you have the tires replaced.

Also, if you have other mounted tires for winter use, you need to train them when mounted, then train your other set in the spring? I guess it's not that big a deal, if all goes well...

204-04-10.gif

204-04-11.gif

Awesome, thanks! I just ordered the little trainer thingy. I'll let you all know how it goes.

All right, I gotta vent....Is this system so far out in left field that no one knows about it except the dealer!!??!!

So the shop that put the new tires on for the previous owner put valve stem TPMS sensors in that are not compatable with our TPMS-3 system. Told him that the something was wrong with the system.

I go asking another independent about getting the correct band type and he tells me that the set up costs ~$300.....PER TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget that noise...

So I buy all 4 sensors and bands used off eBay for $100, and actually bring them to 3rd shop. This guy says, "one of your valve stem sensors was bad so I changed you for it, however none of them register with your vehicle so something is wrong with it, but don't worry, I'm still going to charge you for the new valve stem sensor that is doing nothing in your tire right now. Oh and by the way, those band type sensors are all dead. I KNOW this cause my perfect machine could not recognize them"

So now I'm thinking..damn it. So off of your (my Explorer Forum pals) suggestion I buy the little $40 remote thingy that makes them work, just to see if his machine sucked....Welp, got it, and it didn't work with the valve stem sensors that he put in....

Now I'm irritated. Spent $100 on band sensors that don't even work, $300 for this idiot to tell me my band sensors were bad and that the correct valve stem sensors don't work cause my vehicle is screwed up, so got nothing out of that great deal, and then just spent $40 on this little tool that didn't help either!!

So tonight, off a whim, I decide I'm going to try something. I'm going to take the band sensors and place them on top of each wheel, and then go through the process of programming. What could it hurt, right. Well guess what? Did the programming thing, pushed the little button next the the band sensor on top of the front left wheel and........TOOT! What!?!?!?! Could this actually be working!?!?!?!? Go to the next tire....push button.......TOOT!!!!! and then the next two!!!! TOOT!!!! TOOT!!!!!! What is that?!?! What does it say on the information center?!?!?! TPMS Programming Complete!!!??? Yeah it's telling me I have low pressure (Of Course!!) but it works!!!!

Dudes, are you kidding me??!! I'm not sure who I am most frustrated with, Ford for designing a system that absolutely no one knows about except them (and readers of Explorer Forums), the three shops that had no clue and the one that charged me, or myself for traveling down this idiotic road without simply coming here first.....Thanks everyone, as always, great advice that will save you money if you listen......

I feel ya man.. I set up a set of winter wheels and tires, and i bought the wrong kind of sensors. found out the hard way the newer OEM valve stem sensors on 2011+ explorers won't work on our trucks. I ended up going with a set of Orange aftermarket valve stem sensors for the winter wheels, but it was a big hassle, and yea nobody has a clue what to do with TPMS, and those that do charge a criminal amount.

i did consider a 'trick canister' method that I ran across on the net.. TPMS canister pipe bomb

but decided to do it right once and forget it, but you may want to try the canister method?

That is wicked cool! I however actually like the TPMS feature, I want it to work. So I'm thinking I need to get the tires rotated soon. I'll have them pull them off the rims, mount the things, rebalance and remount. Maybe even an alignment for good measure. Thanks for that idea though!

@06bluez:

I don't understand how this "TPMS canister pipe bomb" should work with our Explorers.
I have read more than one times that our TPMS sensors have some kind of switch inside that activates the sensors when the wheel is turning and reaches the right speed.
Ford says: "... After inflating the tires to the recommended inflation pressure, the vehicle must be driven at 20 mph or more for a few minutes for the light to turn OFF. ..."

I have added the PDF file where I found this information:

http://up.picr.de/13096058mg.pdf

13096058mg.jpg

Maybe I should send that to those 3 mechanics....Give them a little learn'in...

@06bluez:

I don't understand how this "TPMS canister pipe bomb" should work with our Explorers.
I have read more than one times that our TPMS sensors have some kind of switch inside that activates the sensors when the wheel is turning and reaches the right speed.
Ford says: "... After inflating the tires to the recommended inflation pressure, the vehicle must be driven at 20 mph or more for a few minutes for the light to turn OFF. ..."

I have added the PDF file where I found this information:

http://up.picr.de/13096058mg.pdf

On my Explorer I recently had a low tire which set off the TPMS so I go to the gas station and put air in, before I even got back in the truck the light had gone out! Took my truck a week later and had the leaking bead fixed the shop didnt have to do anything but put the tire on and the light went back out once it had the right pressure no driving needed!

13096058mg.jpg

On my Explorer I recently had a low tire which set off the TPMS so I go to the gas station and put air in, before I even got back in the truck the light had gone out! Took my truck a week later and had the leaking bead fixed the shop didnt have to do anything but put the tire on and the light went back out once it had the right pressure no driving needed!

My son's 2007 Explorer works as Lukas2009 says based upon his experience with a slow leak.

The sensor keeps transmitting for 15 minutes after the wheel stops rotating so that would explain the airing up at the gas station. If when the tire was repaired the wheel was balanced (probably a fast enough spin to activate the sensor) again and put on your vehicle within 15 minutes of the balancing then it would be transmitting the correct tire pressure too.

Just a possible explanation.

Back