TPMS sensors expected battery life | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS sensors expected battery life

matsavol

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4.6L EB
I'm about to replace my tires on my 06 Explorer and started wondering if the TPMS sensors would need to be replaced by now. They are almost 9 years old now and most references I found suggest the TPMS sensor batteries should last 5-10 years. If I were to replace the tires then the TPMS should last another ~4 years before next tire change becomes necessary.

Am I already getting more lifetime of my sensors than expected, or do the ones used in Explorers have longer life than most? Or could these have some motion based energy harvesting system that recharges the battery when the vehicle is moving?

I guess the answer to my question is that if anyone with 4th gen explorers had to replace the TPMS sensors due to the battery running out?

Also I have read some TPMS sensors support diagnostics mode where they can report back the remaining battery life/level. Anyone know if the ones used in Explorers support that feature?

had the same thought a few weeks ago when I got new tires. from what i've read, i fully expected to see the tpms sensors on metal bands attached to the inside of the wheel. like an 18 inch hose clamp. instead i found that i have bright blue tpms transmitters on the valve stems. go figure. looked closely at them and couldn't see where any obvious batter would go. must be tiny batteries. whole thing looked pretty well sealed. 07 sport trac with 18 inch factory wheels here.

subscribed to this thread for a definitive answer.

had the same thought a few weeks ago when I got new tires. from what i've read, i fully expected to see the tpms sensors on metal bands attached to the inside of the wheel. like an 18 inch hose clamp. instead i found that i have bright blue tpms transmitters on the valve stems. go figure. looked closely at them and couldn't see where any obvious batter would go. must be tiny batteries. whole thing looked pretty well sealed. 07 sport trac with 18 inch factory wheels here.

subscribed to this thread for a definitive answer.

The batteries are not replaceable. You have to replace the whole sensor, whether its the band or valve type.

For the original question, I'd go ahead and replace them. But, then again, I've been driving around with a "TPMS Sensor Failure" alarm for about 2 years.

It doesn't bother me, and I have a drawer full of tire gages. SPPSSSSST!

Thanks for the replies.

My valve stems are rubber and quite flexible suggesting the metal interior tube does not go all the way through the stem hole on the wheel, suggesting I do have standard valve stems and band type TPMS sensors. I still have the old discounttire receipt and there is no mention of TPMS service. I bet they just did the normal tire service without even realizing I had TPMS system, so they forgot to charge me the extra fee to "service" them. :)

I have read the TPMS sensor life time is not only time, but also dependent on mileage. (Sensor dissipates power only when it is operational, which is when driving.) My explorer is low mileage (49K now) so I do expect the sensors to last longer time in years than typical vehicle driven more. Are there anyone here with early (06-07) 4th gen explorers with high mileage (120K+) that had the TPMS sensor failures due to battery running out?

EDIT: I just called my local Ford dealer service desk and they said they should last about 13 years. He also said that the sensor type does not support battery level reporting via scan tool. I think I'll take my chances and replace the tires without changing the TPMS sensors. Wish me luck. ;)

Back