• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Sensors

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
It's time to replace the TPMS sensors on my 2007 Explorer. I have the OEM banded sensors.

Should I go back with the OEM banded sensors or go with the sensors mounted just behind the valve stem?

Any sensor brands to avoid?

I have the Ford re-programming tool and want to be able to use it with the new sensors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I know is they all don't work. They have to be on the same frequency or such to even be programmed to the vehicle.

IMO its not worth the hassel if you are swapping rims for winter and have to look and the dash light. There is no way to turn them off. If the sensor stem breaks off or leak. It will cost you a tire and new sensor at least. Been there already with that issue.

I'm not talking about swapping TPMS between summer and winter rims. We drive the same tires year round down here in Georgia. My TPMS sensors have simply reached the end of their reliable life and I need to replace all of them.

Still you need a set that is compatible with your system. They all won't work. Based on the VIN number the dealer can give you the compatible part # that works.

I have gone both ways. I have 2 sets of tires, and when I got my boss rims I threw a set of Orange electric stem style sensors in them. They work fine. Last winter, I too had a battery die on my factory sensors in my OEM rims, so I went on Ebay and bought an OEM sensor for 20 bucks. I took the tire into the shop and had them pull it off (after I marked the weights of course). They didnt even charge me. I took it home and popped in the new sensor and threw the tire back together on my garage floor. I would go either way. Both were about the same price, and both were just as easy to install. I guess the only difference is if you went to a stem style you would have to get the tires balanced, but that probably isnt a bad idea anyway. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. On a side note, when I took the old OEM one out, I dug it apart with a screw driver, boy, there isnt all that much to them. Pretty simple circuit.

Somewhat related: The nice folks at Costco tire shop told me that the banded sensors are no longer available so they use the stem type. Is that true ( band no longer available)? And is there a recommended life for the original sensors?

Somewhat related: The nice folks at Costco tire shop told me that the banded sensors are no longer available so they use the stem type. Is that true ( band no longer available)? And is there a recommended life for the original sensors?
Costco here carries Schroder stem style sensors. They are around 60 bucks each, and are pretty much the same as the Orange Electric ones I purchased off EBAY for 1/3 of that price. OEM sensors can be bought for around 100 dollars from the dealership, or for around 20 dollars each from ebay.

I would be careful buying TPMS sensors from eBay. They may be un-installed, recently manufactured sensors or they could be un-installed, old sensors. Most dealers have to purge their stock after a certain number of years and the old sensors find their way on to eBay. I asked an eBay vendor about his sensors and he admitted that they had never been installed, but they were far from new. Lithium batteries start going downhill from the day they are manufactured, so newer and fresher is definitely better.

Were you able to program these particular sensors with the Ford training tool (TPMS-19 tool)?

I had them installed/programmed at the shop where I buy tires. I don't think they used a Ford-specific training tool.

Back