TR7? Getting rid of horrible swirls? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TR7? Getting rid of horrible swirls?

Has anyone used TR7 I think it is called? It's supposed to be a polymer glaze, but when I used it I ended up w/ an entire truck of very fine swirls. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Secondly, what is the best way/ product to get rid of the swirls? I think I'm going to try a very mild polish w/ a low speed buffer or I may try the Mother's 3 step polish.
Then I'm going back to my Meguiars wax and never trying anything again.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there's a product called Scratch X made by Meguiars...my friend used it on his black prelude and the result was impressive. All swirl marks gone after using it and applying a coat of good wax. It is a b*tch to wipe off though.

3M Swirl Mark Remover did a fantastic job for me. I used it with my random orbital polisher and foam pad.

Is this a call for aldive or what???? He's got something for ya!

Be careful with the buffer. It can really cut loose on a paint job. You may want to put masking tape around any edges to prevent burning through.

old show car trick:
take a damp(not wet) cloth and wipe down an area, and well there's still some moisture on the surface LIGHTLY dust it with corn starch, then gently rub off.

3M Swirl remover works wonders when used with an orbital buffer. A polish just covers them up, the 3M swirl remover is slightly abrasive and eliminates the swirls.

Yup, start with 3M SMR with a random orbital buffer (like the Porter Cable 7424) and then, if needed, step up to something like 3M Perfect-It III or Finesse-It II. With a random-orbital, you cannot burn your paint like you could with a rotary. Then, follow up with your favorite wax or synthetic polymer sealant.

peace

Mike

Thanks for all the info guys- where do you get the 3M brand products?

I get mine at a paint and body shop supply place.

peace

Mike

Kind of a late response but my ex. is the dark emrald green and it will show the same marks. The way i do mine is use Mothers like you were thinking about, I absoulutly love that stuff!, and use a orbital buffer like the others said. but when you remove the wax get a new clean bonnet on the orbital and also use it to take off the wax! works great and i never get any swirls. then you can just use a auto dust mop and take the dust off !

Just to stress, make sure it is an ORBITAL buffer. Porter Cable makes a good one, and they sell it through the Meguiars Brilliant Solutions catalog and website, www.meguiars.com its expensive but worth it, its a real commercial quality unit with easily exchangable pads.

Two coats of the Zymol cleaner wax is all I ever needed. It works sooooo well. If they are really bad though, go with some type of scratch remover like the meguiers scratch X. Good Luck

Back