Traction problem in winter HELP !

marc0123

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac 4x4
Hi guys,

I live in quebec canada and we get a s*** load of snow here and my ST has No traction on the 2wd, the 4x4 works great.

what do you guys think i should do? put salt bags in the back ?:rangertan:

Do your 4x4 sucks alot a gas vs. the 2wd ?

And yes i ride 4 good winter tires

thanks
Happy New Year :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add weight to the rear and use 4x4.

4wd is going to use more gas but look at it the same way I do with air conditioning in the deep South during the summer. It's going to use more gas, but the benefit is worth an extra $5 a week in gas.

Just make sure you only engage 4wd when necessary or you'll end up with some costly repairs.

Sand, lime, salt bags would all help, there is also this to help weigh the rear down a little. Using 4wd will consume a little more fuel but not much but having weight in the bed will also cause a little more consumption in fuel also but not much of a difference either.

if it wasnt quebec law to run winter tires id say but a tire like a goodyear duratrac,they are awesome,I think snow tires suck on trucks,imo

I agree on the extra weight AND 4x4. I was working in Arkansas last year during their big snow-in and i got around jut fine in 4x4 with all my tools in the back. Including going back and fourth down a road with a 25* or more valley, never slipped once, and that was with the stock Michelin LTXs.
I DID go through a decent bit more gas, but like a said, never once slipped.

Great help guys, I bought 350lbs of salt and will run the 4x4 more often.

Back