• Register Today It's free!

Trade In Value Help???

AltimateX

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
First, I am sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I see Explorers the same year as mine with higher mileage for sale all the time for like $6k or $7k around here but I'm not sure if they actually sell for that. I know sometimes blue book and trade in values don't really reflect what you will actually get so I was wondering what you guys think I should expect from mine.

It's a '97 XLT with the 4.0, auto, 4x4, power everything (even both seats), luggage rack, heated mirrors, 6 disc premium sound, hitch, factory tint, and the usual options you would expect. It has 103k on it. The check engine light comes on for running lean. It also needs an alignment. It is kinda loud going down the road but I have been told it is just because I have snow tires on. It has a cig burn the size of a dime on the back seat and it has the normal wear and tear you would expect on a ten year old vehicle. It does have one maybe four inch crack in the paint on the rear quarter panel and you can see the color of rust in it.

I am not sure how much I should expect to get for a trade in. One dealer offered me $5,500 for it but that was before the test drive. I wasn't sure on what I was looking at so there was never a need for him to actually test drive it.

Reason I need to know is because I found a vehicle I want for $3,300 but it is a private party. I really don't think it would be a fair trade based on what the dealer offered me but I will get your guys opinions first.

$5500 from a dealer is a really good offer on an Explorer.

Dan

I agree. I just bought mine for $5,995 from a dealer. Its a 99 XLT with 90,000 miles. No CD changer, or heated mirrors, and only the Drivers seat is powered. Roof rack I have....it had brand new tires on it when I got it. Only thing that sucks is that they sold it to me with a freshly painted hood from hail damage, and whoever painted it did a horrible job, and it is now peeling. I've only had it since January.

Maybe that gives ya somewhat of a ball park?

Mike

Yeah, thats kinda what I thought but I decided against the vehicle I was going to trade for. Would a $3,300 trade be fair or should I expect some cash out of it too? Or should I just try to sell it instead and get cash for it?

Back