• Register Today It's free!

Trading Explorer

dmathews

Reaction score
City, State
Beattyville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I was wanting to get some opinions on a trade someone offered me. This guy wants to trade me a 97 expedition with the 5.4 and has 168,x.. miles on it for my explorer. Mine has the SOHC with 172,x.. and is a 99. Both are XLT and not sure about how good they are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless there's something wrong with your rig, I wouldn't trade. Why would he want to trade? You're going to go from 19 or 20 miles to the gallone to 12 to 15, if you're lucky. They're a big old boat.

If your gas mileage is like my explorer i would go ahead and trade. I would probably be getting the same mileage but have alot more power with the 5.4. This is as long as the expedition is in good running shape and not beat to death.

looks to good to be true, id really check out his trk before giving it considerable thought...

Its a bigger truck and its going to use a lot more gas. What do you think the price of gas will do over the next ten years?

Exactly...you just answered your question.

If your gas mileage is like my explorer i would go ahead and trade. I would probably be getting the same mileage but have alot more power with the 5.4. This is as long as the expedition is in good running shape and not beat to death.

I was going to say the same thing. Some of us are already getting 14-15mpg in our Explorers so it's not like a good running Expedition would be worse.

Well the guy keep saying nothing was wrong with it and stuff but hasnt sent me anymore pics of it. Im just going to keep mine, I know its reliable and I have done alot to it, I dont even think his has the third row seat, doesnt have center console or rear air like mine so I find this weird but Kelly Blue Book value says that mine is worth more.

My sister leased a 1998 Expedition, and they were glad to return it because of the gas consumption. If the price of gas goes up, the price of the big SUV's drops like a stone. In 2008 a person I work with bought a 2 year old Lincoln Aviator for 1/3 of its new price. There were just no buyers for it.

yeah that is true, im not rlly worried about the gas, i just dont think I will like it as much. Its older than mine and the only thing I will be getting is more hauling space bc it doesnt have third row seats. Its actually slower bc of its size to. I dont haul nothing or anything anyway so that wouldnt help. If it was a 99 and had the center console and all that other stuff I would probably trade.

High KM too for an even bigger vehicle, engine pulls harder always. Either way i would love to have an expedition if I havnt put so much into this oen..

Back