Gofast

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
76 Bronco
I got this off the local Jeep Board. It drives home the fact that safety is rule #1 on the trail. Several of us have been on this trail before too. I'm sure we'll go over trail rules before the Colors Run in Ouray!

Be safe!

In the Chicago Trib

Teenager Dies in Moab Utah.

In the blackness of a canyon he reached only after hours of climbing barefoot over jagged, slippery rocks, Jeff Firak should have been able to see the lights of Moab, Utah.

The 13-year-old from Woodstock had lost touch with the rest of the riders in his group last Tuesday, during a bike trip along the 14-mile Porcupine Rim Trail, a former uranium mining area in southeast Utah. It was his first time on one of the rides that his father, Thomas, organizes each year for a college cycling club.

Having abandoned his bike four miles behind him in the increasingly rough terrain, the city lights may have been a beacon to the boy, authorities speculated. Jeff had taken off his shirt, socks and shoes, all in apparent attempts to stay cool and move more easily in the 108-degree daytime temperature.

His wire-rimmed glasses were lost, his water was gone and he had eaten the small bag of peanuts he carried.

In the darkness, Jeff made his way 150 feet down into Negro Bill Canyon, jumping six feet at times to get to the next ledge. Searchers later found his knee imprints in a small stream on the canyon floor. He managed to get up the other side. At the top, he sat under a 12-foot juniper tree and leaned against its trunk.

It was there that some of the nearly 40 rescue workers found his body Saturday morning.

Chief Deputy Doug Squire of the Grand County sheriff's office, who pieced together Jeff's last day, said the boy died of exposure, probably less than a day after he was separated from the group.

Squire said Jeff had only a single water bottle with him. Officials recommend people take several gallons.

"People try to bring out the bare minimum," said Ron Georg, a mechanic at Poison Spider Bikes in Moab and a guide for bike groups traveling area trails. "You won't find a local out here who will do that. If you're prepared and doing things correctly, you won't have a problem."

At the family home in Woodstock, Jeff's brother, Steve, said his family often took bike trips together but this was the first time Jeff went to the Utah site.

Steve, 17, who did not go on the trip this year, got lost last year on a different trail in the area, but then spotted his father.

"You never expect something like this," he said. "It's no one's fault."

Jeff's parents were returning from Utah on Monday.

Steve Firak said those on the ride told him that when Jeff was about 5 miles into the trail about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, he sped up to catch a rider.

"He was fearless. He could take anything," his brother said.

To make it through the canyon took determination, Squire said. "I'm pretty impressed with what he was able to accomplish."

But no one understands why he did not try to double back to the trail.

"We are talking about a 13-year-old and who knows how people react when they get scared," Squire said.

The trail, where thousands of bikers ride each year, is surrounded by steep cliffs and slick rock. In some spots, the trail is so narrow only one bike at a time can fit.

The riding trail is just south of the Colorado River near the Manti-LaSal mountain range. The intersection where Jeff apparently turned the wrong way is clearly marked, Georg said, but, if the sign is missed, the trail appears to continue straight when it actually turns right.

In the 20 years Squire has worked in the sheriff's office, this is the third death. Two teenagers died after getting lost together about five years ago.

After those deaths, the trail was marked more clearly. Three-foot tall brown fiberglass markers with arrows line the trail now. But, Georg said, bikers who veer off the trail can become disoriented quickly.

Searches for lost bike riders dropped dramatically after the improvements, from about 50 a year to only five or six in each of the past two years, Squire said.

Jeff was on the trip with his father, his brother, John, 19, and four other people. His father had organized the trip for the cycling club at Oakton Community College in Des Plaines, where he is a microbiology professor. The college-authorized trip, the third in two years for the club, started July 27 and was supposed to end Aug. 10, a college spokeswoman said.

Jeff's father and the others realized he was missing about 9 p.m. when they met at the end of the trail.

Police started searching for him an hour later, and found his bike two miles from the trail at 3 a.m. Wednesday. About a tenth of a mile away, they found the peanut bag and Jeff's T-shirt.

At dawn Wednesday, an airplane searched the area. Soon after, three helicopters and seven dogs joined the search. At least 13 local and national police and fire organizations looked for Jeff.

But by that time, Squire believes Jeff had reached the tree and was hidden from view under it. "There's just no way we wouldn't have seen him if he were up running around," Squire said.

Searchers on Wednesday found his Lycra riding shirt, shoes and socks. The next day, they found his glasses and knee prints near the water at the bottom of the canyon. They found his body 6 miles from his bike at 10:56 a.m. Saturday.

His brother believes Jeff dropped his bike because he could travel faster on foot. He probably took off his special bicycle shoes because they have a metal bar across the bottom and are uncomfortable to walk in.

Jeff, who would have turned 14 next month, was an athlete. He played baseball in Woodstock and football for Olson Middle School. He was also a standout on the wrestling team.

"He was such a strong kid," his brother said. "He had so much energy and was a great guy to talk to."

Jeff also had a creative side, playing trombone and forming a jazz group called the Brass Brothers with his best friend, Andy Martin. An honor roll student, Jeff went out of his way to say hello to teachers in the hall or erase a chalkboard at the end of the day, school officials said.

"He could take charge if the teacher was out of the room and asked him to look after things. He was always ready to volunteer, to do his part," said Don Deller, Olson principal.

Andy placed a yellow carnation in Jeff's bedroom Monday morning to signify friendship. Andy said he and his friends plan to wear Hawaiian shirts at Jeff's memorial service, planned for the weekend, in honor of Jeff's favorite garb.

"He was hilarious," Andy said. "He just did things no one else would dare to do and he would make us laugh

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 08-10-2000 at 06:05 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to bump this back up. Very important every one should read.

It is important, and is the primary reason that people shouldn't wheel alone in unfamiliar territory. I can easily imagine being stranded in the mountains around Moab. It's so vast, so huge. I guess my only question is how he got seperated from the group.

Well I wouldn't think it would be too hard at Moab to loose someone there. If Gerald hadn't been on that trail before when we all split up and we went to Gemini Bridges, we might have got lost or ended up somewhere we didn't want to be. I took 2 wrong turns before we found the right trail.
I remember when we lost Wendy Crafford at Truckhaven.
We all went back to camp after lunch and nobody did a head count. It wasn't until we were back at camp that and one of the Ford people was looking for Vivian(she was with wendy). The good thing about it was Wendy was alot more prepared than this boy was, so if they would have had to stay out over night, they would survive ok. Lucky for us that Wendy pretty much knew which way to go, and we met up with her as she was coming out on to the river bed. The use of our CB's helped out to. Ray H. went up to a high point and was able to contact her. At the next Truckhaven run, we are going to assign leaders to a group of 5. They will be responceable for the members in their group, even if all the groups run together they will still have to monitor their group and then report to Rick or I when we start moving again. This is way it is so important for everyone to have a CB in their truck. The article that Gerald wrote up on what is needed when you go 4wheeling needs to be headed well. Without those things listed, you might end up like that boy did. 4wheeling is alot of fun, but you have to do it safely or you could get into trouble real quick.

This is not only a important part of off-highway driving, but also a sad on at that. Just a few days ago a tragic event happened at one of my favorite trails in the las vegas area.

LAS VEGAS, August 14-A man and his two children were trying to lend a helping hand to a stranded friend, when something went terribly wrong.

"THE GOOD SAMARITAN’S CAR plunged over an embankment into lake mead just after midnight in a primitive camping area off north shore road.
Investigators are still trying to figure it out exactly how the accident happened.
There were two vehicles involved, a jeep and investigators believe, the other was a pick-up truck. Somehow the truck got stuck in the sand and the driver of the jeep tried to pull him out with a tow strap when that line snapped or came undone, the Jeep landed in the water, both people inside drowned.
The same waters that daily lure hundreds of visitors to Lake Mead were responsible for taking two lives.
Randy Niel, National Park Service says, “This is a never ending battle out here to try to keep people on the designated routes.”
The accident happened in a remote area of the lake. Two parties, camped out having a good time, when one man realizes his truck is stuck in the sand and his friend tries to use his jeep to pull him out.
Randy Niel, National Park Service says, “Somehow things went terribly wrong and jeep went off the embankment... a cliff area and landed upside down in the water.”
The jeep was recovered but it was too late, the driver, Curtis Demoss, and his 3-year-old son Bronson, drowned.
Randy Niel, National Park Service says, “It’s a problem that’s been around for quite some time, Park Rangers say people get off the main highway and into this soft sand... next thing they know, they’re stuck.”
Every time somebody comes off-road, beats down the road... they create new opportunities for other vehicles to follow.
The man whose truck was stuck and the victim’s other son, and a 4-year-old survived the ordeal. For them a day at the lake will never be the same.
Park rangers tell us the two men were good friends and they were co-workers right here in Las Vegas.
A full investigation into that accident is underway. Authorities tell us they do have reason to believe alcohol may have played a role in the mishap."

Everybody PLEASE use caution when driving at all times, and even more when on a trail. No matter how many times you've drove the trail, whenever it comes to a part you're not sure about get out and look. If it looks unsafe and you might be in danger, find another way around. You also need to always overbuild your truck as well as your equipment. You're asking alot from every piece of equipment you've got when traildriving, from your bumper to your seatbelt every part needs to be ready for abuse. Most of all....STAY ON THE TRAIL. Not only is this for safety but mother earth likes it so much better.

Even though I love off-highway driving soooo much it's not worth my life. I love the thril but I love my family and friends more. I enjoy saving a penny but I also like having the peace of mind knowing I'm safe too. There is no excuse to drive off the trail.

I'm going to do some searching on this site as well as on the rest of the net for any info I can find on safe trail driving as well as the proper equipment to have with you.

Please keep this thread at the top of the list! Like I said in an earlier post, I want to meet everyone of you and it would be a huge loss to us all not to have anybody missing.

I'm sorry for the long post, but it meant alot to me

Lee Tongate

sorry for the double post but here is both the thread that started the topic of trail safety and equipment as well as the report that was wrote up on eqyipment to carry with you. I'm also going to continue to look on the net for some more info on trail driving tips and safety rules.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11607

http://www.explorer4x4.com/trail_equip.html
I would love to see this one on the main page for easy views

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Dead Link Removed

Not getting lost

There is a "golden" rule that prevents people of a group getting lost: Everybody is responsable for the guy BEHIND them. If the trail splits, wait until the car behind you cought up with you. Don't worry loosing sight contact with the car in front of you, he will wait for you on the next split (he is responsable for you). If EVERYBODY is doing this, and nobody chickens out, when the car in front of them gets out of sight, you can't loose any members of a group. This system is also used in the Army. For members breaking this golden rule, some "nice" jobs can be found (the Army is good on this :D ), like doing everybodies dishes for the entire trip or washing everybodies car, lacking the availibility of "restroomduty".

I agree, that's always a good rule to follow. Getting lost in Moab is EASY, its not wheeling in the mountains where you have one trail with a few branches, at times you go for great distances over a big rock with nothing to know where the trail is other then tire tracks and an occasional marker painted in to the rock, without one single marker. I can see what this boy was thinking and honestly as much as we all say we would not do the same thing and would handle it differently, a lot of us probably would do it exactly the same way. Finding shade in Moab is difficult and even in the shade it can be extremely hot. Whenever going wheeling ESPECIALLY in Moab I always bring my 5-gallon container of water as well as a cooler full of bottled water, soda, etc. I can not see myself ever running out of water and that way if I come across a biker with an empty container of water or something, I can stock his water and not hurt me at all - it's benefiting everyone. You always hate to hear of people dying in Moab but you can definately see how it can happen. Not getting seperated is a big thing though. Finding a group of people is a lot easier then finding one person. You hear here in the mountains constantly where someone will get stuck in the mountains in the winter, they will have a full tank of gas and be in a protected environment, it will be 20 degrees outside... they will decide it will be faster and safer if they get out and walk to safely but the snow confuses them as to where to go/where they've been and they end up freezing to death. Occasionally you'll hear of someone who gets stuck, they stay in their vehicle and a day or two later they find the person, cold but alive. They find a lot of peoples vehicles and never find the people - probably lost out there forever...

Back