• Register Today It's free!

trailer lights

blue92

Reaction score
City, State
state center, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
When I hook up my trailer, the turn signals flash fast and dim. When connected, you can't really tell they're flashing unless you're right next to them. They work fine normally. Will a heavy duty flasher unit help, or is there something else that needs done? The brake and running lights work fine. It's just the turn signals. I tied all the trailer plug wires into the harness just before they get to the actual tail lights using a universal harness in the left rear storage compartment, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

A heavy duty flasher will do the trick.... You just have a heavier load on the electrical system when the trailer is hooked up thats all...

I'll give the heavy duty flasher a try. Thanks!

Instead of a regular heavy duty (mechanical flasher) get an all electronic flasher.

Even with a heavy duty mechanical flasher it still flashed way too fast when I had the trailer on...

I put in an electronic flasher and now if flashes the same with or without the trailer..

The downside to electronic flashers is that if you a tailight burns out it doesn't differently like it did with the mechanical (and normally doesn't with a heavy duty mechanical anyway) and you can't "hear" the electronic flashers like you can the mechanical ones..

Oh yea.. the electronic one was taller than my stock one (or heavy duty one) so I had to modify the fuse panel lid so the new flasher would stick out through the panel.. but overall it was worth it...

~Mark

Back