• Register Today It's free!

Trails in Illinois?

BigDave

Reaction score
City, State
River Forest, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
If any of you guys (or gals) are from Illinois I would reall appreciate it if you could tell me what trails you know of. I want to go for a run, but can't get to far away from school. So.. If you know of any within an hour of Chicago (in any direction), or near Macomb (where I go to school, on the wester side of the state) I would appreciate you telling me where they are and any other details.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Dave,
I know that there are some trials in Peoria, right around the river. I've never checked them out personally, but I do know a guy that goes there, and he says its pretty good. There's also a place just north of Pontiac, thats part of an offroad club. I have been there, but in an old crappy blazer. Its pretty rough on your truck, so beware!!! I'm from Bloomington, So these might be too far away for you, but maybe not!! Happy wheelin!!

I live about 40 miles west of chicago and would like to get togather and try the trails around Peroria. Let me know when you would like to try them.

------------------

COOL!!! Send me an E-mail and tell me what you had in mind!! Finally another explorer around here!

------------------
Play like you mean it!
'92 XLT

Let me know when you want to hit those trails too. Hopefully, I will be able to have some fun with my stock setup.

Dave

I'd like to go also. Anytime on a weekend would work fine for me. Email me or just post it here and we'll get together. Peoria, Macomb, Chicago, It's all plenty close enough for me. I live by Freeport so I'm in the same neck of the woods as you guys.

P.S. The sooner the better

------------------

Kampy

I'm gonna need to do some scouting before we go, just so I konw what we're getting into. Unfortunatley, I just got really stuck this past weekend and blew my auto hubs. Thats going to put off the whole thing for me until I can get new ones. I don't suppose you guys have any manual or auto ones lying around, do you?

------------------
Play like you mean it!
'92 XLT

OK!!!! My hubs are on!! I just ran this trail (kinda small, but challenging) and it performed wonderfully!!! I am planning to go to the one trail by the Illinois river this weekend to check it out. When I get back, I'll make sure and let you know how it was and see who wants to go.

Are you all still interested? I hope so!

scott

Riff, I'm ready to go. I'm busy on the 5th of feb. Have to go check out some fire truck factories in Wisconsin. But any other time should be OK. Pick a date and let me know.

------------------

Kampy

kampy@internetni.com

Riff,

I am still interested let me know what dates that you had in mind. I may also need directions from Macomb. One question though... Do you think that I will have any problems with this trail with a completely stock setup. I want to make sure that I am not going to get stuck to bad. Email me and let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Riffman,

Where you able to check out those trails by the river? I live 25 miles west of Chicago and would love to get together with fellow Explorer owners for some off roading. Please fill us in and maybe we can orginize a small outing.

Peace Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Its kinda a long story, but I'll make it short....the past two weekends i've been trying to get out there, but blizard like conditions prevented me from getting there. Then i was driving around on the lake bed of lake bloomington here (the water is like 12 feet low now) and there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Basically, after driving for a while, i found myself sliding towards the lake, and eventually slightly...er....um.....in it!!!! No one got hurt, and my truck is fine (THANK GOD!!!!) And since this trail is near the Illinois river, i figured that we might want to let the snow get down a little bit....ya know...so we can see exactly what kind of surface we're on....Let me know what you think. And I'll try to get out there as soon as I can.... cool?

later,
scott

Scott,

I'm glad to here that you (and your truck) are okay. Unless I was real familiar with the trail I wouldn't want to try it when there is a lot of snow on the ground. Hopefully in a couple of weeks the weather will warm up a bit. Keep us updated!

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Well Riff, find out anything yet? Snows all gone up north and its perfect wheeling weather, rain muck and goo. We are all ready and waiting.

If you would like, let me know and I'll tag along when you go scouting.

------------------

Kampy

kampy@internetni.com

All I know is that if I don't go 4 wheeling soon, I'm going to have a conniption fit. This past week, the weather has been awesome in Illinois and I got the Spring Time itch real bad. Let's stop procrastinating and get together already. What do ya say gang? Let's pick a date. What about Saturday March 11th?

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Hi! I didn't know there's so many of us Illinoians on the list. I'll be happy to join you guys anytime you're ready to hit the trail. If help is needed, let me know. I've moved to Carpentersville about a year and a half ago and don't know any trails around here yet. Someone in the area know anything? Thanks,

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com

Hey guys,

I am going to Virginia this friday, I got a buddy going through OCS in Quantico os I though I would visit during Spring Break. I think that March 12 would be great, but I don't know the trails around here, Riff let me know when you're ready to go.

DAve

------------------
Big Dave
'94 XLT 4x4
modified air box
K&N airfilter
"Take her easy, and if she's easy take her twice.." (The trail I mean..)

Could this be an "Illinois River Run"? I'd be more then willing to jump in and explore. Keep us posted.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited

Ok, its officail...im a slacker. Sorry its taken me soooooo long to get back on this whole trail thing. But as it stands now, Im gonna run the trail tomorrow (saturday, the 4th) with mine (a sligthtly over stock explorer) and my buddy's (a stock Cherokee). Im gonna take pictures and get them online hopefully by tomorrow night, if not then, then probably by sunday night. I'll post them on my web page, and you all can view them and decide if its worth the drive. If it is, i was thinking that next weekend would be a great time. probably saturday early in the day, then i hear that there is another part of that trail that we could do after lunch or somthing......I'll konw for sure tomorrow evening.

Again...sorry its taken me soo long to get back....hope you are all still interested...

later,
scott

P.S. Do you all have CB's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allready then! Let us know how it is. I'm still interested. CB? no problem, got that.

Later,
Dead Link Removed

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited

Back