BK19702

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4x4
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and I had a question.

I have 2002 XLS, 4x4 with around 60K on it. I've noticed a 'clunk' in the tranny when accelerating out of a turn (around 3000 RPM maybe). Normal accleration from a stop light is fine. Wondering if this is a transmission issue, crossmember banging, or just a sensor going screwy while shifting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to this forum! Could you explain the feeling a little more in detail? A clunk is usually felt from a bas U joint, ball joint, or a rubber bushing that is worn, and cracked. Does it feel like a flare up?

Doesn't sound like a U-joint going bad in the rear. It is weird; sounds like a 'clunk', 'clunk' right beneath the center console (transfer case maybe). The only thing I can think of that I've heard is maybe the 4 wheel drive is temporarily engaging because of the acceleration out of a turn and therefore it may be sensing some slippage at the rear wheels and trying to engage the 4 wheel drive?? I could be reaching, there, don't know. Again, only if I really tried to accelerate out of a turn do I hear it (don't do that often).

Back