Tranny fluid change/filter replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid change/filter replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, so I've read on this and a couple other forums on auto trannies that if you do not know when the last service date on the tranny was done, that you should NOT replace the fluid and filter, due to it causing major problems once its done. I KNOW that this doesn't seem right, you should change ALL fluids in a vehicle especially one as old as mine..94. I've no idea when the tranny was last serviced. I want to change the fluid, as that is the only fluid that hasn't been changed on my ex. I just don't want to end up with a bad tranny afterwards.....

This tranny seems to be ok, I know its not perfect as its a 94. Has 133K miles on it. I'm betting that the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time, if ever. What do I need to be aware of when taking it in to have the fluid changed? Should I have a flush done?

The myth is old fluid has clutch material in it, and putting fresh fluid in it leaves not enough clutch material thus it starts slipping.

I have a few problems with this myth: First of all, this myth started like this: Some guy never maintains his transmission properly and never changes the fluid (BIG no-no ) and eventually he starts having problems. At this point his trans is toast from poor maintenance and nothing will save it. But he thinks “Oh maybe I should change the fluid and it’ll fix it.” So he gets the fluid changed, his trans dies shortly after so he thinks it must be from the fluid, not the years of neglect.

Second of all, the ONLY place you want clutch material is on the clutches. Period. You do not want it floating around in your fluid. Over time, clutch material WILL wear off the clutches and will eventually get bad enough to make the trans slip. This is INEVITABLE and is the reason NO automatic can possibly live forever. But one thing is for certain: You DO NOT want clutch material floating around in your fluid. So change your fluid frequently and keep it fresh. If you change fluid on an old transmission and it begins slipping immediately, your trans was already toast in the first place.

If your trans is still working perfectly fine, changing fluid WILL NOT HURT IT!! Like I said, if your trans ides shortly after, it was already dead to begin with. Also, just because the trans is working fine, do not think that you don’t have to ever change the fluid. Change trans fluid every 30-40k miles, whether the fluid “looks” good or not. You wouldn’t wait until your motor oil turns to sludge before thinking about changing it would you?

And FINALLY: Transmission flushes are NOT a bad thing. The term “flush” is pretty misleading. Flush machines don’t actually “flush” your trans per se, all they do is exchange the fluid. Here’s how it works: Your trans has a pump and a cooler. When your driving, the trans pumps fluid through the cooler. When you get a flush, they hook up the cooler lines to the flush machine. Then they start the engine. Once again, the trans uses it own pump to pump the fluid through the cooler lines, just as it normally does. But, all of the fluid getting pumped out gets dumped into a tank on the machine. All the machine does is make sure the fresh fluid gets pumped back into the trans at the same rate it’s coming out. There isn’t any actual “flushing.” It’s a perfectly safe method and is really the only way to change all the fluid in the trans at once.

Change fluid regularly!!!! I have 151k miles on my A4LD and it shifts beautifully. I don't think it would've made anywhere near this long if I neglected fluid changes. I already dropped the pan and changed the filter on my Ranger once when it had only 22k miles on it. I also added another in-line filter to help keep material/debris out of the fluid.

X2 what John94 said. Spot on.

I would add that if you don't know how recently the filter has been changed, or if it has ever been changed you should shy away from a "flush" since that procedure will usually leave you without a filter change.

I would want to see if there is anything sitting in the bottom of the pan and certainly would want a new filter under the circumstances that you have described.

Great info thanks john! Now to save money to put in brand new ATF :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back