• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid change

88OrangeLX

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
OK my Exploder has 50,000 miles on it and I was wondering if it would hurt to have the trannsmission filter and fluid changed? I know when the mileage gets up on a tranny you shouldnt change the fluid, is 50,000 miles too many miles to do the first change? Also is there a Haynes/Chilton manual other than the $80 one for the 04 Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think changing your fluid is a good idea.

I'd let a shop to your flush for you (atleast the flush), because one - I believe your transmission is sealed and there is a procedure to checking the fluid correctly which can get messy and hard to do without a lift. Two - because it only cost like 100 for a shop to do it. Short and simple

-Drew

Synthetic?

I have a 2003 explorer with just under 30K miles. I am about to have the trans fluid changed, and I was planning on using snythetic fluid. Does anyone have any comments as to benefits/problems with synthetic trans fluid? If it matters, I will be towing a 3000 lb travel trailer a few times a year. The explorer is equipped with the towing package.

Thanks,
- Hal

I think using a full synthetic is an excellent idea, as is changing it every 30,000 miles. As it is Mercon V is a semi syn. The full syn withstands temperatures better. Also when you tow, unless it is a nice flat stretch, it is a good idea not to tow in OD.

If you have a V-8, you have a pretty strong transmission for towing. If you have the 6 cyclinder, you need to be more careful towing with it. It is not a bad idea to install a trans temperature gauge if you want to really keep an eye on how the trans is doing. On the V-6 it is also not a bad idea to have a shift correction kit installed in the transmission valve body to firm up shifts for towing.

Whats the diff in the tranny used with the V6 or the V8?, thought both where the same,5R55Es

Fluid

In the explorers since 97 in the 5r55 trans they use synthetic trans. The fluid is Xt.5.QM which is mercon 5 synthetic. We tow a trailer to and I change our fluid every 30,000 miles. The trans has to work anytime you tow.

Mark
05 EXPLORER 4.6L V8 3.73 4X4
03 SPORT TRAC 4.0L V6 4.10 4X4

The V-8's used the 4R70W and 4R75W....MUCH beefier animal.

Mercon 5 is not a full syn. It is a semi syn.

Trans

Thats right it s semi. The only V-8's that use the 4r100 or 4r70w are the trucks, vans, and the all wheel drive explorer and moutaineer and this is the earlier body style.

Glacier991 said:
The V-8's used the 4R70W and 4R75W....MUCH beefier animal.

Mercon 5 is not a full syn. It is a semi syn.
other than the 06, did prior V8 models use the 5r55e, say 04 /05

trans

In 1997 the explorer and ranger with the v6's used a five speed tranny, since 1997 there has been about 5 to veriations of the trans. In the 1997 and 2001 explorers with the 5.0l v8 all wheel drive used ither the 4r70w. In 2002 -2005 the explorer with the 4.6l v8 USED A 5R55. In 2006 explorer with the v8 use a 6zf 6 speed trans with the v8 same used in the 07 sport trac. The 4.0 v6 still uses a 5r55. a List of 5 speeds:

5R55E
5R55S
5R55N
5R55W
6ZF 6 SPEED( USED ON 06 EXPLORER W/ 4.6 3V AND 07 SPORT TRAC W/ 4.6 3V)

tranny

xt.5.qm is a full synthetic fluid I checked the bottle

Back