Tranny fluid change question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid change question

I mounted mine horizontally to get more clearance, How much clearance to the ground does yours have?

It is still tucked up under the bumper, I have plans for a 3" BL, so when I do that I am going to have to either turn it horzontially or it will be exposed, or try to find a shorter filter. So far I am happy with it and I have noticed a difference in the shifting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you guy's with the '99's !

aldive,addkev :,
I just received my remote tranny filter from summit !
the perma-cool kit .
I have some questions for you,
1st,by mounting the filter horizontally,it's got to be tough pre-filling the new filter before installing it ?,
also,did you have to order any more hose or was the 4' that comes in the kit enough ?,I went ahead and ordered better hose clamps,and a full case of amsoil atf,
if I remember right {flushed the tranny at jiffy-lube 30k ago} this 5-speed auto took almost 12 quarts ?.after that flush it was slightly overfilled and was leveled off correctly before leaving the shop.I did that flush at 20k,and you should have seen the black,oily looking fluid coming out {clear hose lines}while my amsoil atf was going in ?,I'm glad I did it at such an early stage.

did both of you guy's mount the lines between the radiator and cooler ?,or right after the tranny.

thanks,

Glad you got your goodies.

I mounted horizontally just for more ground clearance. I do not prefill the filter; I am sure it’s a good idea, I just haven’t done it nor do I intend to do so.

I needed NO extra hose. I taped into the system at the rubber lines coming off the factory tranny cooler. It was a very easy install. The location makes for a very simple filter change too.

Are you going to install a tranny temp gauge? That is my next addition.

Bill, my hoses go from the radiator to the cooler to the aux filter back to the tranny. I prefilled my filter, but I don't think that running it for a second is going to hurt, the tranny pump runs pretty fast and it will fill that filter really fast. Another advantage to vertical mounting, is I did a flush on Saturday by removing the filter, placing a bucket up under where the filter goes, and just filling the tranny up as old fluid comes out, after about 14 quarts I was getting bright red fluid again.
I have never been happy with Ford hydraulic fluids, it seems they get dirty real fast my first fluid change was at around 20k and mine was real dark, also. Good luck with the install, I am happy with mine.

thanks Guy's !

you both cleared up all my concerns !,I'll get this done soon as the new atf arrives !

I didn't get the kit with the gauges,they were not in stock at the time....but I beleive we can just order a gauge setup {I would think}maybe even a better quality than what came in the kit ?

Attachments

• trannytemp.jpg
    trannytemp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 142

vey nice !

looks good.
just where to mount it though ?

I plan to mount mine in the front pocket of the console after fabricating a custom face plate out of black plexi.

Will post ehrn done.

Back