• Register Today It's free!

tranny fluid change....

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
ive read alot of threads regarding this but I would like to attempt this soon. i will be changing the driveshaft fluid front and rear and transfer case shortly.

Im at 110,x.. miles and have a 2002 v8 and i dont believe the fluid was ever changed. The reason im going to attempt this is, is that ive read that excessive heat in the tranny will casue the tranny oil to fail earlier or get burnt.

Recently i went upstate to hunter mountain and they have this killer like 5 mile long hill, I always monitor my tranny temp with my scangauge, but this time it was at 195 then climbed to 200

when i asked last time someone said that 185 190 is a little high!

i figured it would be better to drop the pan and change filter and add fluid now before something else happens. this is ther first time it has been that high and im scared that something might happen down the road, and i obv want my truck to last.

Should i attempt to drop pan and change filter?

And how much fluid would i need? And what brand?(Id rather go with RP to match driveshafts/t-case)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would drop the pan and change the filter. You will need around 8qts of Mercon V. Royal Purple makes excellent lubricants and I have their gear lube in both diffs of my 05 Exp. I have Mobil 1 Syn ATF in my T-case. Any licensed Mercon V is fine, though a full syn like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple should be better.

Drop the pan and change the filter as was stated.

200? That's not so bad...last month I went uphill for 10 miles on a W.Va highway mountain road and hit 230 for a couple of mins :eek:

ive read alot of threads regarding this but I would like to attempt this soon. i will be changing the driveshaft fluid front and rear and transfer case shortly.

Im at 110,x.. miles and have a 2002 v8 and i dont believe the fluid was ever changed. The reason im going to attempt this is, is that ive read that excessive heat in the tranny will casue the tranny oil to fail earlier or get burnt.

Recently i went upstate to hunter mountain and they have this killer like 5 mile long hill, I always monitor my tranny temp with my scangauge, but this time it was at 195 then climbed to 200

when i asked last time someone said that 185 190 is a little high!

i figured it would be better to drop the pan and change filter and add fluid now before something else happens. this is ther first time it has been that high and im scared that something might happen down the road, and i obv want my truck to last.

Should i attempt to drop pan and change filter?

And how much fluid would i need? And what brand?(Id rather go with RP to match driveshafts/t-case)

230 ouch!!!so what is a a number that i should not want to see? 230 for 5 minutes?

8qts? someone said in a previous thread buy 5 and return what you dont need. Doesnt the pan only hold a certain amount?

trans

If ur not sure its been changed its not a bad thing to change it when u do lift it drain it pull the pan and change the filter is a must.
Save your old fluid so u have an idea of how much to put back into ur tyranny just a nice too so you don't over fill. But don't reuse old fluid.
A problem I ran into you prob won't make sure you have a backup means of transportation cause the parts people might give you the wrong filter just happened to me gave them all correct info and still got the wrong one big pain but I had my car so good luck.
Also ur pan should have magnets on the bottom to collect metal shavings pull them off and clean them for obvious reasons.
Good luck with ur fix and I say the obvious stuff just to cover bases not to insult.

I'd be very surprise if at 110K miles and never having had a tranny fluid flush that your tranny fluid isn't considered burnt or worn out. Which brought me to my question that you answered. I seem to recall I was going to have my tranny fluid changed for the second time (at around 90K miles) and was told it was burnt/brown and therefore I better not change it at all. That was 30K miles ago.

230 ouch!!!so what is a a number that i should not want to see? 230 for 5 minutes?

8qts? someone said in a previous thread buy 5 and return what you dont need. Doesnt the pan only hold a certain amount?

Well for sure 230 is worse than 190-200. I don't know if there's a magic number but generally excess heat + time is bad when it comes to trans fluid.

IIRC my trans took 5-6 quarts when I last changed the fluid and filter. I bought 8 just to make sure I had enough. Not high dollar stuff, just Coastal Brand Mercon V. I figure if I do fluid and filter changes every 20k or so that'll be fine, but never hurts to buy the good stuff either.

I'm definitely going to modify my cold start valve in the valve body to get full trans cooler flow at all times, that should help a lot with keeping the temps down.

amazing info...thanks everyone. I think I will start with the driveshafts and transfer case this weekend since those are easier and less likely to screw something major up.

quick question about front and rear driveshafts, I will use 75w-140 for front and back, i dont have LS, all i have to do is drain and fill? I dont have to remove seal or cover?

amazing info...thanks everyone. I think I will start with the driveshafts and transfer case this weekend since those are easier and less likely to screw something major up.

quick question about front and rear driveshafts, I will use 75w-140 for front and back, i dont have LS, all i have to do is drain and fill? I dont have to remove seal or cover?

I think front diff spec is for 80W-90. No drain plug on the front, so use a suction pump or similar to remove and refill, otherwise you could remove the front diff cover, i think there is a sticky somewhere here showing this procedure.
(found it - http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242694 shows procedure for changing diff oil where there is no drain plug)

Rear diff has a drain plug, just remember to make sure the fill plug can be removed before opening the drain plug.

Ok i will need to get a hold of a suction/pump tool,

in previous post's/threads i read somewhere its ok to put 75w -140 in the front as well. i want to get some really nice synthetic oil in there.

Ok i will need to get a hold of a suction/pump tool,

in previous post's/threads i read somewhere its ok to put 75w -140 in the front as well. i want to get some really nice synthetic oil in there.

I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 80W-90 in the front and Severe Gear 75W-140 in the rear. You can get it online from their site.

Back