Tranny fluid change question

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
My 5.0 AWD Mountaineer has 100,300 on the clock. The previous owner had records of regular oil changes but never a tranny fluid change. Will it hut the tanny to change the fluid and filter now since it has never been changed. I have heard that if the tranny has never had the fluid changed with this many miles that it may cause problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you only drain the oil from the pan and not the torque converter, you should be alright. There will be enough old fluid left in the converter to keep the new fluid form washing the tranny out, but there will be enough new fluid (plus clean filter) to help. What ever you do, DO NOT have the tranny flushed.

I agree, just the pan, with 100k if you haven't had any problems, why risk it.
Don't fix it, if it ain't broke.

I would definately recommend changing all of the ATF and replace with synthetic.

Originally posted by aldive
I would definately recommend changing all of the ATF and replace with synthetic.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't recomend the use of a synthetic oil in a tranny that old and has possibly never been serviced before. I say this for the same reason I don't recomend ANYONE having their tranny power flushed after it has 100K miles on it. The new fluid isnt' worth the extra cost, and could possibly harm the tranny.

Over the last week I started experiencing tranny problems and I went and talked to ALOT of people trying to get an educated answer, I was told by 3 different transmission shops to not flush a tranny over 60,000 miles if it had never been serviced before. Luckily, mine has so it wasn't an issue for me.

I am not sure what you guys mean by "flush"?????

Thanks.....

To change all the fluid with out dropping the pan.

BTW I got my aux filter on, I posted pics in the general photo section.

Old trannys are not "protected" by old ATF. Put in new by any method. Leaving older fluids in for fear of the new fluid somehow harming the tranny is another one of those hard-to-die myths. If you forgot to change your oil in your motor for 10,000 mile, would you then not ever do it again for fear of damaging your engine with new oil? The fluid in a tranny will circulate. It doesn't stay isolated in the torque converter or any other part. Go ahead and put in new fluid by any method: Total fluid exchange, or drop the pan the old fashion way. It don't matter. Do not use any kind of chemical flush or cleaner.

I wasn't saying just to forget it, but just do a filter change and the 4 quarts in the pan, that is, and has been the mainstream way to protect your trans. The new flush machines are still, just that, new. And to take an older tranny that has never been serviced and to perform a 99% fluid change you are asking for trouble. He said it runs fine and no problems, so just drop the pan and do it that way, the way that has worked for 50 years.

I still would replace all the fluid' leaving in very old ATF makes no sense.

Good luck.....

Originally posted by addkev
BTW I got my aux filter on, I posted pics in the general photo section.

Please post it here.

Thanks....

I am wondering if anyone really knows why new fluid would hurt a old transmision? I could understand a need to drop the pan to change the tranny filter with a ton of miles, but after that I am having trouble with the "old fluid" logic. At 32,000 I would like to get this explained before I start my normal servicing of my transmision. I am due for my first change at which point I am going to install a aux.cooler. Can an aux. tranny filter cause any problems? I was thinking maybe the tranny fluid pressure might be affected.

Originally posted by addkev
I agree, just the pan, with 100k if you haven't had any problems, why risk it.
Don't fix it, if it ain't broke.

I had had mine flushed before and I did it again about a month ago at 97K. The dealership over filled it and now I have a leak. One mechanic said that it is just sloping out and if I drain it to the right level I will be ok. But others say the seal may be blown. What do you all think? Is it easy to drain and where can I get the proper fluid to put in there? Will it hurt if I use something different than the dealer?

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
I am wondering if anyone really knows why new fluid would hurt a old transmision? I could understand a need to drop the pan to change the tranny filter with a ton of miles, but after that I am having trouble with the "old fluid" logic. At 32,000 I would like to get this explained before I start my normal servicing of my transmision. I am due for my first change at which point I am going to install a aux.cooler. Can an aux. trannt filter cause any problems? I was thinking maybe the tranny fluid pressure might be affected.

Old wives tales die hard. There are still those that say synthetic oil will make an engine leak,

Please post it here.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

The pictures don't show up for me?????????????

I had to just put in links instead.

Just FYI, I did a flush on Saturday, bu just unscrewing the filter, turning over the engine and letting it drain in a bucket and pouring in new fluid in the filler. I am going to do like you did Al, and wait about 500 miles and replace the filter and cut it open see what's in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I mounted mine horizontally to get more clearance, How much clearance to the ground does yours have?

Thanks......

Back