tranny fluid in the engine

my91explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Sold-now a YJ
I need some help!!!!!
My tranny level keeps dropping and my oil level is on the rise. Did I mess up the vacuum lines or could the vacuum diaphram be damaged in the tranny? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I followed the diagram in the haynes manual. I replaced some of the old vacuum fittings due to bad fit. I have tranny fluid present in the octopus thing on the top of the engine.
I tried getting to the diaphram on the side of the tranny..what a nightmare.

The engine is a fresh rebuild and is running great besides doing an oil change every 2 weeks to get rid of the tranny fluid.

Please try my other e-mail address if you are replying during the weekend at my69mach@aol.com

As you can tell I have many fords new and old.

91 Explorer 4x4 Eddie Bauer
K&N filter
Many mods are in the works
I wonder if my wife will notice a body lift?

Reply engine sucking tranny fluid

The A4LD-HD tranny in your explorer has a vacuum shift modulator. sometimes the diaphragm inside leaks, then you get your transmission fuid sucked into the engine. The last time I saw this was on a Bronco II with a 2.9L...the 4.0's predecessor. That one's leak was so severe it was blowing a white "james bond" smoke screen out the tailpipe. You can access the shift modulator on the passengers side of the tranny. its behind that heat shield that is partially clipped on your trans pan. its a very tight squeeze, but you could replace it yourself

Back