Knocking from bell housing! HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking from bell housing! HELP!

Leodab221

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
So just finished my engine swap '98 into a '01. Starts up great but I've got a weird knocking coming from the bell housing. It's random and less frequent in park and neutral. In reverse and drive though it creates engine shaking and the truck dies.i torqued down the flywheel buts to converter to spec (35ft/lbs)

Could my converter have come unseated what pulling he original motor? Anyone else every experience this sort of problem?? Any and al answers are much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It goes into every gear and is delivering power to the wheels. Could I have bent the input shaft? I mated them smoothly didn't pulley converter onto the flywheel. At a loss here

flexplate spacer?

Did you install the flexplate spacer?
FlexPlat.jpg

Sometimes it sticks to the old crankshaft and gets overlooked.

I don't remember seeing this... When I pulled the original, the converter stayed in the trans and then the flywheel was on the back of the engine. Hmm, I have to seperate the trans anyways to figure this out today.

Not likely you bent the input shaft doing an install, more likely disengaged the converter, but it sounds like you were mindful of that. Let us know what you find

I read that post '98 the bell housings were shortened to compensate for this. I definitely didn't have a spacer. And the "spacers" I've seen for the 455re are actually shims about .025" in thickness. If anyone could validate this, please do.

2000 model

The one in the photo was on my 2000 Sport. The flexplate for the automatic is thinner than the flywheel for the manual clutch. The spacer compensates for the difference. You keep posting flywheel but your posts indicate you have an automatic which has a flexplate.

Yes sorry for the confusion. First automatic I've wrenched on. My flexplate is definitely thinner than yours. I'll do some research and see where this shim is placed. Thanks for your help!

Found the issue. Spacer was not installed I overlooked this on the last engine. Bummer I had to drop the trans but had to be done.

Looks like I need the m6032 spacer (4x4 here) but not having any luck finding the part.

Back