MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Well, now that summer like weather is here, my tranny guage is getting a bit more active. So about what temp. should I be concerned ?
I have two aux coolers so I am pretty confidant there should not be an issue for just for GP at what temp should I be concerned ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello ? Is this thing on ?

Hmm.. Maybe thats something I should look into installing.. Dunno but having a good size tranny cooler & aux filter would help..

MONMIX said:
hello ? Is this thing on ?

:p To funny :p I have an electric fan infront of my coolers.If you stop and let your truck idle for a few min with this fan on that the temp goes way down

The temp goes way down hunh ?

FROM WHAT ?
TO WHAT ?

I run about 160 norm.
200-220 in traffic.

Is this what is to be expected ?

220* sounds a wee bit high. Ideal ATF temp would be more like 180*.

Monmix, I too have a 2000, and the last time I changed the oil I noticed how close the catalytic converter was to the transmission. I figured that shielding the cat would keep the transmission cooler, so I fabricated a piece of galvanized steel and installed it between the two. I don't have a gauge or scanner, so I can't tell for sure how much cooler it runs, but it must help some.

There's a heat shield already there to protect the two servos, but it's so small I doubt if it helps much....the one I fabbed is much larger, around 14" square.

Mine ran around 210-220 in traffic with 20" wheels and a bad tranny with no coolers.

In trafic in the Florida heat, I rarely get over 185 F and on the highway, it runs about 145-155 F.

Where is your temp sender located at? I have mine in my pan which I believe would be the hottest place and mine floats around 200-210. I have talked with many people on a couple of boards and it seemed like everyone was claiming around 180 however I have also gone to 3 different tranny shops and they told me the temp should match your engine temp. I don't know about you guys but my engine also floats around 200-210 so I'm not worried.
-James

My sender is prior to the filter which is immedately following the tranny out.

Yeah, the tranny guys I spoke with also said it should be same as the engine.

They also suggested I by pass the engine radiator completely and just use the two aux coolers. So if the engine is running hot it will not heat up the tranny as the fluid flows through the radiator. Any thoughts on this ?

I have never had any problems using the radiator cooler.

They also suggested I by pass the engine radiator completely and just use the two aux coolers. So if the engine is running hot it will not heat up the tranny as the fluid flows through the radiator. Any thoughts on this ?
I would not eliminate the radiator ATF cooler. It's located on the "cool" end of the radiator, which probably has a coolant temp of 150* or less. This will transfer a lot of heat away from 200* ATF.

I would check the location of your aux coolers; maybe they're not getting enough airflow? As was suggested, maybe a couple of fans on the aux coolers would help. Or maybe you could fab up a heat shield for the cat converter. They can run up to 1200*F, and that's a lot of heat radiating into your transmission and fluid......

MONMIX said:

I was suggested the same thing and since am running a similair set up.
-James

I am led to believe that the path through the radiator is as much for initial heat up of the trans fluid as it is heat dispersion later.... be interested to hear whether there is an truth in that. There are a LOT of trannie myths out there.

Well, I was told this by the tranny tech's not some office geek so there is a good bit of credability.
I believe the conclusion we have reached that 200 - 220 in traffic is not over heating, so I think I am gonna leave well enough alone.
I may just for an experament by pass the radiator and see what, if any differance is made.
Nice discussion folks !

Now that it's not going into the radiator it takes a lot longer to get hot and I do believe it was supposed to bring the temp up to it's level. This is also another reason why I would think the temp is supposed to run around what your engine is running.
-James

Mine runs an avg. about 160......however, if I even do the slightest bit of wheeling, the thing shoots right up to the 220-240 range.....I would think thats a little hot for the fluid....but then again, that could just be me.

That's the reason that 4.0 trannys suck is because they run so hot. Heat kills.

Hartman said:
That's the reason that 4.0 trannys suck is because they run so hot. Heat kills.

thats why i just ordered a 2nd cooler, a temp gauge, gauge pod and a fan to cool it all. i'm gonna probably fab up some kind of heat shield for the cat too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back