Tranny Probs-- What tranny do I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Probs-- What tranny do I have?

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
What Tranny does my 93 Navajo 4x4 auto have? Can I use a 4R70W in it? How about a 4R55E?

Can I get a new tranny for it anwhere or do I have to go with a rebuilt? Who has a good rebuilt one for sale? Any reccomendations? I have been having some tranny problems. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

right now you have the wonderful A4LD which is what every explorer tranny is (except the 4R70W) but i think it was determined that you could use the 4R55E. i would go to a salvage yard and get a new A4LD with low miles on it. good luck!

There are rebuilts out there

on the internet that you can get for about $800 with shipping. Some backyard guys will rebuild a pulled tranny for about $300. So are you willing to pull it yourself? This is an easy transmission to work on and a couple of problems can be fixed without pulling it out. What is the current problem?

It is shifting rough and slow between 3rd and 4th. It is also getting slow to shift into reverse. I had the fluid changed about every 50,000 miles and the last time the guy put about a quart too much ATF in it. It is probably his fault, but I am stuck with it. It ran too much fluid for about 10,000 miles (maybe less) until I noticed it. Thanks for the suggestions. What does it take to put the 4r55e in it? Where can I get an 800 dollar one?

First thing you need to do is take that photo link out of your sig. This site does not support signature pics. Thanks ;)

The delayed reverse shift

can be cured by replacing the low/reverse servo O-ring with the new double lip seal. This is a fairly easy procedure that you can do by dropping the pan. Look on page 2 under a post titled "Low/Reverse Servo Improvement." This thread contains 50+ posts and is located at:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60887&goto=newpost

That repair with fluid and filter is under $50. One possible cause is the OD band servo piston may have hardened. This part is about $15 and is located on the front side of the case. Not really convient to get to but can be done without pulling the transmission. Or it could be a valve body problem. Visit www.atcdg.com and click on tech. View the A4LD problems. Working on the OD section of this transmission is very easy and requires no special tools. Sounds like you got plenty miles left. I don't think you have a chance of putting a 4R55E in this.

Back