tranny puked, possibly in overflow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny puked, possibly in overflow

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
ok... I'm pretty sure its dead dead, but heres what I do know, trans fluid outside the tranny, but hard to tell where from (was driving 55 when it happened, so its everywhere), there is definitely very little fluid in tranny currently, as well as alot of extra dark/nasty fluid in the coolant tank.

I've heard of the tranny cooler/radiator leaking together. but I'm not sure that covers the trans blood (red and thick so not mixed with coolant I believe) on the tranny case.

had no "warning signs" that I know of, seemed fine then lost power (I stopped, rolled backwards and saw the fluid)

I don't think replacing the rad and cooler is going to cut it. I know others have been here, looking for the secondary hemorage possibility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sound As if the front Trany seal Has blown out

sounds like a start, any other (be advised I'm OTR tommorow, check back later)

That front seal blowing out is a common problem on these transmissions. Did you check your coolant level in the radiator? Here is a link that you should find interesting: Dead Link Removed. If your radiator has enough coolant, when was the last time it was flushed out? Here is another link on flushing out the cooling system: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162848. These 2 links are also located in my signature under useful threads.

ok, after my OTR, I've torn it down and found the cause.... talk about stupido, I split a hose on the tranny cooler line.. added a second aux cooler (have tow package original) and deleted radiator cooler, definitely should aid in cooling

the dark color in the rad tank was because my father in law added a stop leak while I was out since my wife complained of a small leak on the concrete (before)

Once I run it a few days I'm going to pull the radiator and go to my cousins rad shop and get that worked out depending on the issue. I doubt I'll put the A/c parts back in since it hasn't worked in 2 years.

I've driven it around the block a few times, seems to be ok/ no leaks.

I'm going to run it a few days and then drain and refill with fresh fluid to check for metal bits. does anyone use lucas trans additive? good or bad?

Back