Tranny Rebuild and 4x4 Conversion

JRLCrist

Reaction score
City, State
Stewartstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X EB & '00 Olds Alero
Hey there guys,
I was looking around on the forums and found an immaculate thread (4 actually) on A4LD rebuilds by Glacier991. I was wondering, though, if anyone had ever successfully converted a 2x4 to 4x4? I was looking at a 93 EB X with a blown tranny that, if I got, I would have to rebuild (using Glacier991's thread for a bullet-proof build), and while I'm at it, I'd like to convert it from a 2x4 to 4x4. Anyone have any experience or threads in their favorites to share?

Thanks,
LJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something that kinda bothers me is that I thought the Eddie versions were the top-end version, so I thought it'd be a 4x4...

yes a Few people have converted to 4x4 from 2wd. I have done it twice and I am working on doing a 3rd and a 4th. :rolleyes: (I know I am crazy) The hard part is gathering parts and being prepared for the conversion and not just jumping in with out knowing what your Up against. If you search my user name with 4x4 conversion you should find the info you need and if you have any questions you can PM me and I will help ya.

Something that kinda bothers me is that I thought the Eddie versions were the top-end version, so I thought it'd be a 4x4...

Sweet deal, thanks. The tranny rebuild and conversion are definitely things nobody should jump into unprepared. I appreciate the help :)

you should look around for a 4x4 ,but if ur up to the swap good luck.

Sadly, in my area, this is the best X I can find. It's $700 and only has a bad tran (leaks atf like a cut jugular). My vision is to rebuild the tranny like Glacier991 did, do the 4x4 conversion with some help from you wonderful people :) Then once it's drivable, mod it out. Specifically, I imagine a more digital dash display and a digital center console to control aspects such as cabin temp, volume, etc, all from a touch-screen, not to mention vehicle telemetry and possibly an internet link to warn me about traffic redirections. Think of the GPS in the Batmobile in Batman Begins ;)

I can do the computer part, but I'm not really a gear head, although I've been studying up.Hopefully with more research and your help, I can get through it.

The main two things you need trans wise are the 4x4 output shaft and the 4x4 extension. You have lots of other things to consider behind that though, but Kris is a pro at those things.

If your donor tranny is fragged, plan on replacing a lot of hard parts.

As far as I know, it just leaks atf like a slaughtered walrus, but I intend on trying to fix it, then doing what you did, Glacier, and buying and rebuilding it for when the old tranny finally caves in. I haven't finished reading your threads yet, but did you ever get around to finding out what the total cost was for a bullet-proof build and what the cost was for a decent rebuild?

Back