2001 Explorer Sport Trac- 4x4 Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Trac- 4x4 Conversion

mcrowdr

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 2x4 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and want to convert it to a 4x4. Can someone please help me with a parts list needed for this conversion and if it is possible... Also is it possible to convert the rear drum brakes to disc. Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get the discs off any 95+ Explorer rear (except ST) Or you can buy a kit $$$$$.

Do a search for rear disc brake conversion 8.8 on these forums, you will find what you need.

To convert your ST to 4x4 the BEST way to do it is to swap in a solid axle in the front.
FYI solid axle swaps are not for everyone.
This is not a simple conversion to just bolt on, but it is becoming more and more common on the later model trucks, the options are endless.......

You can search for 2000+ Explorers on here that have done SAS and also 4x4 conversions, lots of 4x4 trucks go to the SAS, FEW have done the 2wd to 4x4 and SAS, so you are treading in mostly uncharted waters :)

Welcome to the site!

Swaping to a OEM style 4wheel drive would cost $$$$$. I can't imagine the PITA it would be also to get all that crap right and finding the parts.

I would love to get my hands on that ST for a SAS. :bounce: :bounce:

What this all means is the possibilities are only limited by your imagination AND your budget. There's lots of great info and great people here. Have a great time and post some pics of your progress.

PM section525.... he dropped an AWD in his 4x2... on his site, he has detailed instructions how he installed it....

I would assume it can be done. I saw it done on an '88 Bronco II, but that was a manual shift gear box. I don't know if ford offers a manual shift in the 3rd gen explorers. If not I would also assume the wiring is all there for the push button. The swap would be a matter of searching for a totalled 4wheel drive Sportrac, preferably from a rear end accident, strip and swap. Not a fun project, if you achieve your goal I'd love to hear about the finished project.

Yikes, I wouldnt want to use a 4x4 Sport ttrack as my donor, because if I was going 4x4 I wouldnt be keeping the IFS, you are better off with a SAS...although it does require custom fab. The 4x4 IFS on the 2wd Sport trac may require frame and crossmember modifications anyways.......

Try to find a totaled (from the rear) ST 4x4 and see how much they will want for it. Besides, you still have the issues of OEM parts for strength of the front axle. Besides the fact that Jamie brought up about the frame.

PLEASE bring it to my house for a SAS! That would be so bas ass, 10X stronger than stock, and much cheaper than a 4x4 conversion.

True I didn't even consider the IFS, major pain in the rear. Modifying to fit a SAS would be more logical in the long run. Still not a project I would ever undertake unless I had a lot of time on my hands. Or another vehicle to drive.

Forget the IFS 4x4. Go for the Solid Axle Swap or forget it. Seriously, you will be much happier and it will save you money in the long run and probably in the short haul as well.

Look at our "Solid Axle Swap Registry" for ideas.

For a Single Axle what would this project entail as far as parts, labor etc.. and would this imped everyday driving conditions?

As stated SEVERAL times in this post you need to SEARCH.

There is an entire discussion forum dedicated to people who have performed solid axle conversions, some of them on first Gen trucks, second gen trucks, and also the newest late models which are the same as your Sport Trac.

The 2wd to 4wd conversion basically means you will need to locate a 4x4 donor, Explorer, ranger, whatever. You will need some parts of the transmission, the x member for the transmission possibly, the transfer case, and driveshafts. Also any wiring, shift mechanisms, etc that go along with this.

The 2wd to 4x4 question has been asked many times, and generally the concensious is that you are better off selling the 2wd and buying a 4wd, but it is possible and has been done. So its not for the faint of heart, but if you are like me you liove for this stuff :)

SEARCH is your friend

Gonna have to hold off on the Conversion..

I had a run in with a guard rail and it won...

Back