Tranny slipping...is it normal??

aznboi3644

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey guys.

I have a 98' XLT with the 4.0 SOHC and 4 wheel drive. its got a little over 140K miles on it.

Is the transmission supposed to slip???

The difference between every other car/ truck I've driven is that the Fords tranny sucks because it slips A LOT.

I'll gas it good and the rpms will raise to 3K and just stay there until it shifts into OD. There is no "going through the gears" though I know it is shifting because I can slightly feel it. Every other vehicle I've had and driven the tranny actually sticks to the gear and the rpms rise and falls as the tranny shifts.

The only time the rpms will rise and fall from shifting is when I floor it.

Is this normal?? seems like very poor engineering and a lot of power and energy wasted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..umm...NO...

That is NOT normal.

Ryan

My tranny shifts like this sometimes when I accelerate and plateau to cruising speed. My 2001 xls is electronically controlled, it will go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd....in 3rd when it revs to about 3000rmps (about 50mph) it will go directly into 5th bypassing 4th gear.

its been like this since i've gotten it...When I bought it I even had the tranny flushed.

Would some stop slip transmission additive help??

Are you using Mercon V fluid? Other fluids lack friction modifiers, and could cause slippage. Did you replace the filter when you had a flush? Lubegard makes an additive which is a friction modifier.

I really have no clue....I had Raben Tire do the tranny flush.

The transmission slips and seems to fully lock up after 4500 rpms

I'll call Raben tomorrow and see what they did. This was a couple years ago though...hopefully they have it on file still

Honestly, flushing a transmission CAN be worse than just leaving the trans fluid alone....especially if there is A LOT of miles on the fluid.

Ryan

well the fluid was gray instead of red...and its never been changed or flushed.

So has anyone had any experience with that transmission stop slip stuff??

mine has a surge type feel when i floor it and it go's to OD like the rpms surge alittle before shifting time to change my filter and fluid i guess lol

Back