Tranny Slipping O/D Blinking - No Codes Though | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Slipping O/D Blinking - No Codes Though

Super Serg

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Tranny Slipping O/D Blinking - No Codes Though - **UPDATE**

2000 4 Dr XLS

Tranny is slipping (from standing still, I excelerate, but truck doesn't move forward. Only inches along till at a speed where either 2nd or 3rd kicks in. It will correct itself temporarily if I shut engine off & restart).

O/D light starts to blink when this occures, but shuts off when problem disappears (slipping happens randomly).

So after searching the board for past posts with similar problems, I came across a couple suggestions as to where to troubleshoot, etc.

My question is:
Why don't I get a code when the O/D light is blinking (test read as though truck is perfect), and is it possible that problem is electrical since turning the car off and then back on eliminates the problem (at least temporarily).

Thanks!

*ss*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 4 Dr XLS

Tranny is slipping (from standing still, I excelerate, but truck doesn't move forward. Only inches along till at a speed where either 2nd or 3rd kicks in. It will correct itself temporarily if I shut engine off & restart).

O/D light starts to blink when this occures, but shuts off when problem disappears (slipping happens randomly).

So after searching the board for past posts with similar problems, I came across a couple suggestions as to where to troubleshoot, etc.

My question is:
Why don't I get a code when the O/D light is blinking (test read as though truck is perfect), and is it possible that problem is electrical since turning the car off and then back on eliminates the problem (at least temporarily).

Thanks!

*ss*

Start with basics, is the fluid level correct? How does it look? When was it changed last.

An O/D flash should have a code. What scanner are you using? The trans may require a special scanner to pull codes. Some only read "check engine" issues.

I don't know much about mechanics but i do think that you should check your fuses. One could be burnt out and causing a short in the circuit.

**UPDATE**

Dealer was finally able to pull codes for this issue & codes were:
731 & 732

Was told that I needed to replace the Plate & EPC. After changing these though, I still had the same exact problem...

Tranny expert in my area now tells me that I'm going to have to rebuild it & that it'll cost around $1,500.

The 1 thing I did notice though is that when the problem (at full stop 1st not kicking in fully and slow crawling till 2nd kicks in) if I come to a full stop, shift to reverse, then go back to D, the problem disappears (until either it randomly happens again, or I turn off the vehicle and drive at another time).

Does the above sound familiar? I'm looking for any alternative to not having to rebuild. Thoughts, suggestions, next steps?

Thanks!

Sergio
*ss*

A rebuild would only be necessary if there was some internal part malfunctioning, or burned frcitions, etc. The fact that your tranny will run just fine from time to time pretty much rules out any of those.

Your problem codes do NOT involve the EPC, but DO involve the shift solenoids. (Although there could be internal valve body concerns - like sticking spools) and a remote chance of something internal to the tranny itself - which I doubt from your symptoms.

Here is my recommendation. If you haven't already, change your fluid. Then, remove your valve body. Remove the new EPC and save it, you might be able to sell it. Replace it with the old one. Use this as a core and buy a remanufactured Valve body from Central Valve bodies and install it.

I'll bet you a beer your problem will be solved.

Back