Trans cooler to steering cooler

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Anyone know why I couldnt take the factory aux. trans cooler and use it for a power steering cooler.

I have a large B&M plate cooler that I am going to mount for the trans and am thinking that I can reuse the stock cooler for the PS fluid ( this is the cooler mounted to the front of the radiator on the super cool package). I would clean and flush it and put it in the return line to the pump.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolers!

SteveVB, Yes, it will work. I did that on my other vehicle. I installed tranny cooler that is the size of most V6's radiators. I then took the old B & M tranny cooler and hooked it up to the PS system. My only concern was air flow to the radiator since I had the A/C condensor and the tranny cooler and now the PS cooler installed. Just watch your temp gauge to make sure it's cooling "OK". You can also mount the PS cooler more out of the way if you want, since you will get the benefit of more fluid for Power steering now.

Good Luck

Thanks,
I think I am going to get an additional 10" electric fan to go in front of the new trans cooler - I can switch it on while on the trail, it should also help the radiator some I would imagine.

Thanks again.

Pusher Fan?

Great Idea, Where are you getting the fan? I think this would be a great addition to my rig as well. I don't get hot on the trail, yet. But anything to help cool would be good. I only run a little warm in stop & go traffic with the A/C on with outside temps 95 and up.

Pusher fan from Flexilite- I think its called a trim-line its 10" dia and a pusher, about $70 from Summit. They have some other sizes 12 and 14 I think. Go to Dead Link Removed search flexilite and then trimline. I have a couple of 12" fans in the garage from previous projects they are pullers though so I dont know if I can reconfigure them, they are also much deeper than the trim-line which was under 3" if I remember correctly. I need to get my tape out to see if what I want to do will fit between the rad and the grill.

I never have had a cooling problem either. I am finishing my engine with more HP=more heat, and my next project/mod is the trans and with some upgrades and a possible custom TC=more heat, I want to be on the safe side. Although at the speed I get things done on the truck it will probably be snowing again before I get the transmission work done!!

Back