• Register Today It's free!

Trans Cooler

Nocturnall

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
So it's not a typical thread about a transmission cooler.

I have recently stumbled upon a potential reason why I've been seeing such high temps in my trans fluid 200 - 280. I have a large 12 1/2 x 17 x 3/4 in trans cooler http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Transmission_cooler_p/600-000013105.htm

installed as well as a remote filter http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/15709_Remote_single_filter_mount_p/600-000015709.htm

I had them installed so the fluid came from the transmission into the filter housing, then into the cooler, then into the radiator with a temp sensor located in the filter housing. Recently I decided to move my cooler higher up so it wasn't so close to the ground. When I moved it I had to rerun the cooler lines so this time around I went from the transmission, into the cooler, then into the filter housing, then into the radiator because I had a suspicion that the filter was slowing the flow down and not allowing fluid to flow enough to cool. So now the fluid will be slowed and forced to sit in the cooler if in fact that is happen.

Upon driving to work today under conditions that normally would have pushed my trans temps to 160+ degrees easily it stayed around 110 and didn't climb. Even sitting idled usually the temps would increase and they just stayed put today. More testing as well as pictures to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing because I am looking into cooler setups. I have a Temp guage on the way. I am hoping to get a baseline for my normal stock temp, then go from there.

I added a tranny cooler also and it made a world of a difference. I also put a fan on it with a toggle switch.

I had a fan on mine but it stopped working, and I was still pushing 300 degrees at times. Your looking to be around 160 degrees. When you look at a cooler get a stacked plate, basically a cooler that's 1 1/2 thick, not 3/4 thick.

FYI, you will see higher temperatures when you place the sensor in the line closest to the trans output. That is where you want to know the temperature.

You will see the lowest readings in the line going back into the trans, and that isn't as important as what is coming out.

The filter should come before all other coolers, to protect them in the event of a trans failure. You are supposed to replace a radiator when a trans fails, if there is no filter protecting it.

The fluid should go through the radiator before any air/air coolers. You do not want to heat the trans fluid back up by running it through the radiator last, that is a liquid/liquid cooler, the water is cooling the trans fluid in the radiator. Thus you want to have the water do what it can first, then route the trans fluid to the air/air coolers. Regards,

I plan to research different set-ups, logging data along the way. I'm going to start with stock with the stock flex fan. Then stock with a Taurus E-fan, then dual stock coolers in line, then dual stock coolers bridged. Then if I come across a fancy aftermarket cooler somewhere at a decent price, i'll try it too. I'm also looking into a way to test line pressure from in the cab so I can monitor the stress on the pump

If you can figure out a way to accurately moniter the pressure I would be very interested in it, would be nice to see if fluid is leaking out before it's spraying all over my exhaust like yesturday.

The best cooler which I have seen was on an early 80's Crown Vic station wagon. It was about 14x12x1.5" the stacked type. The typical police car will have an engine cooler close to 8x12x1/5", those have 1/2" NPT fittings though. I used one of those on my first mail vehicle.

The most restriction comes from the added fittings, look at the internal size of the holes in them. The filter mounts usually have 1/4" NPT's, so the fittings for those are relatively small, compared to the stock 3/8" lines.

I plan on doing something similar for both of my trucks. For now I'll add a filter in the line going to my radiator. Then I'll add the extra cooler in parallel with the other cooler, with y-fittings. I have a double flaring tool to give me bolt on fittings for the hard line which I cut. I will take pictures, but it will not be pretty. I'm not going for the best cooling at high speeds, thus my extra cooler will be low on the radiator. I need extra cooling when my average speed is 10mph, so this will be good for me.

The filter I posted had 1/2 npt fittings and I think the threaded holes are actually 3/4 16thred so you could put a 3/4 inch hose barb on there if you wanted to. I'll know for sure on the actual sizes since I plan to replace the hose barbs on it tonight, couldn't find any 1/2 inch trans hose in the area so had to go to 3/8's.

That filter does have 1/2 NPT openings on it, 2 on each side and uses the same oil filter as the 4.0 ohv. I got some 1/2 in to 3/8 hose barbs from home depot for $3 a piece.

Are you sure that they are 1/2" NPT, what kind of filter mount is it. A 1/4" NPT fitting has a 1/4" internal diameter, the 1/2" NPT fitting would have a 1/2" internal hole size.

FYI, you should not want to be replacing the trans filter very often, and they all use a normal oil filter basically. Id recommend an Amsoil engine filter for it, they are made to go 25,000 miles, which is a lot more than other filters. They run about $11 with the member discount, I'm planning to use that in a short time. I may drain a few quarts off next Spring to do that, changing 100% of the fluid is not easy to do at once.

I bought brass 1/2 npt hose barbs at home depot. They were threaded for 1/2 hole on 1 end with a 3/8 inch hose barb on the other end. I'll have to see if I kept a wrapper and take pictures tomorrow.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/15709_Remote_single_filter_mount_p/600-000015709.htm

That's the exact kit that I have, I put a K&N 3001 filter on there normally, put a bosch on today just because I was nervous with having the hose blow open that maybe too much pressure was building due to a clog and I couldn't readily get my hands on the k&n or a amsoil filters.

600-000015709-2.jpg

Nice kit! It comes complete, and has dual fittings for universal mounting.

People I've put a B&M inline filter with a K&N filter on it also a temp guage before any thing else .ie before the radiator . Firstly ther's the temp guage then the remote filter then into the radiator then into the OE cooler then into a 20k btu cooler then return .My bigger filter is higher up and to the left hand side .I made my own bracket to mount it . Don, Can I ask why did you use "Y" joiners ? I have my coolers in parallel but if you use "Y" 's the feed would tend to go to the easier flowing one ??? Cheers Mate Foxy

Here you can see how I went the temp gauge first coming right out of the tranny outlet, then stock cooler then after market cooler...

Trannycooler.jpg

Trannycooler2.jpg

Why not put the trans cooler in front of the radiator like everyone else? It's 70 here, and granted my temp sensor is now after my aftermarket cooler but I still didn't see higher then 110 degrees driving too and from work. Before I would have been hitting 200+.

Why not put the trans cooler in front of the radiator like everyone else?

I think this was directed towards me.... I have a 3rd. We have totally separate tranny cooler that is not integrated with the radiator. We have no room in front of the radiator and the little room that I did have is taken by my air/water heat exchanger for the supercharger.

It's hard to see in the pic, but that location gets a straight shot of air while driving. When I turn on the fan, I can watch my digital gauge plunge in temp...

Good stuff, I like that filter kit, I bought 5R55E parts from them last month. I'll get that for my Mountaineer. I may end up with some kind of fan when I see trans temps later.

Barry, the "Y" fittings don't have as much restriction as "T" fittings, just a minor thing.

Alex, I love those push lock connectors, those with the yellow collar. They hold any hose much better than other barbed ends etc. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back