Tranny Cooler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Cooler

If those are the temps coming "out" of the transmission, those "might" be normal. I've never had my temp gauge hooked up to the output side of the trans (where its hottest). I have mine in the pan since that the fluid the trans will see.

The hottest I've seen the fluid get so far this year has been about 185F.. I'm expecting a 190-200 this week (temps will be 105F).

I use synthetic fluid just to be safe and change whats in the pan every few oil changes (2 or 3, depending on how much time I have). So far the fluid has been smelled or looked burnt.

I am also assuming that your are driving with the converter locked when towing. If the converter isn't locked you will be generating more heat (expecially if the rpms of the engine are below the converter hydrolic (sp?) lockup speed)

~Mark

Yea I do the hottest because I want to see that around 190 at the HIGHEST. Temps are around here have been over 100 every day. I also use synth, doesn't look or smell burned, doesn't even look used really. Gonna try and figure out wtf is going on with the help of the board, will post results and what I do to help it here. Once I can afford it I'm thinking of just installed 9 more trans coolers.

Back