trans help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trans help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want to put a 351 in front of a 4R44? I would say no. I would not put a V8 in front of a V6 trans. I would imagine a C6 or AOD would work.

If you just wanted to keep an electronic tranny you could install a AOD-E with a PTCS controller. Just food for thought. -j

Yeah that's what my friend Dave was thinking the trans won't hold up and he wants to get a c6.

Another question

With the new trans will I have to get another driveshaft to fit it or can a mod the old one?

Depends on the tailshaft output type of the new transmission. But at the very least you will at least need to change the length, if not also the U-joint type (yoke). Of course you may get lucky and everything matches up (same length and connection).

But driveshaft is the least of your worries, thats a last minute thing you can go to a driveshaft place and have it done in a day or two.

How much is it do you think that I'm going to be putting out for this ?

Id rather go with a 351W, or better yet a 5.0 or stroked 5.0, some pan problems

How much is it do you think that I'm going to be putting out for this ?

A lot. There is a good post somewhere on this board, sorry don't remember where it is or the title but I just did a V-8 swap search and found it.

a 351C has a small block trans bolt pattern, you will have to get a c6 for a small block pattern also, still a huge trans. If you go carbed (meaning sticking with a Cleveland)a better choice would be a rebuild AOD with 4r70W internals so no electronics are needed, there are other options. Start forking out the cash and time :D

You could go with a C4 and lose overdrive, might be cheaper to build, I am assuming you arent going over about 500 hp ?

no not yet but i plan on going carbed and im thinkin or a supercharger or turbo idk yet
but just for right i need to get sumtin movin on my truck

i say AOD then since the 4r70W (electronic wide ratio gear) is available in the later Exploders. Can get a used one for maybe 50-400$tops with converter. I think they should mate up.

Back