• Register Today It's free!

trans is slipping

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
i have a 94 explorer and my transmission is slipping. when i take of im in first gear and the faster i try to go it just slips really bad. if i let off the gas it feels like it shifted into second but im not really sure. but the faster i try to go the more it sliped. anyway i couldnt check the fluid cause i had to go to a job site. im hopeing maybe its the fluid either low or needs to be changed. id this worth doing a fluid change or should i just call it a lost cause? btw its a A4LD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 94 explorer and my transmission is slipping. when i take of im in first gear and the faster i try to go it just slips really bad. if i let off the gas it feels like it shifted into second but im not really sure. but the faster i try to go the more it sliped. anyway i couldnt check the fluid cause i had to go to a job site. im hopeing maybe its the fluid either low or needs to be changed. id this worth doing a fluid change or should i just call it a lost cause? btw its a A4LD.

changing the fluid won't help anything.

if it IS just low on fluid, then ADD FLUID IMMEDIATELY!!! driving around while low on fluid will destroy the transmission in short order, remember, "slipping" generates a **** load of heat on the clutches/bands and destroys them (like, in a matter of minutes)

if you need a new trans you can get 'em rebuilt for around 800 (shipped) i changed the trans in my '93 a few weeks ago (at 217k miles). it was a pretty easy job actually.

ok so i drove it home takes alittle longer to get out of first but shifts into second really smooth. everytime i hit the passing gear it slips. also going on the freeway it struggle and stays into first for awhile then shift once im up to 65 and leaving it there drives fine. i hit the passing gear or i put more gas to mske it shift it slips and catches. i have 30k on the fluid doesnt smell burnt and still lookd clean. im stuck here. i see no visable leaks and my fluid not low its alittle pass the full braded mark.

I always ask for this but nobody ever delivers.. so i'll ask again anyway..

if you could take a video (of the speedometer and tach) during full throttle acceleration, or downshifting/etc, and post it on youtube or something so we can see it, it would help greatly.

I have the same problem with a 97 fd explorer except reverse works great. 1st 2nd and third slip bad. any ideals? i heard some something about voltage to valves. could this really be a problem.?
mando

Back