Trans leaking from connector on the lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans leaking from connector on the lines

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
So I felt something "off" last night driving home, somewhat of a vibration, but more of a shake. Jacked my X up this morning one corner at a time to check each wheel, and see if there was anything odd, or loose, which there wasn't.

While I was down there, I was just looking around, and noticed I definitely have some trans fluid leaking. The best I could see was one of the lines going into (or out of?) the transmission seems to be leaking. Its not a bad, or big leak, but its there. Those fittings are pretty clean, but have trans fluid residue on them so im sure thats where its coming from, and under there, on a crossmember(?) you can tell where the fluid was/has been sitting its all gunked up. Scraped some off with my hand and its definitely trans fluid.

Seems like this is a very common issue, but all the threads i've seen, its leaking at the radiator connection, not the trans connection. Wish I could've got a picture, but my camera is pretty much useless right now. Need to set up an Apple appointment for that.

Are the lines prone to leaking? I would assume I have to replace the whole line? (Both, since it looks as if both fittings may be leaking)

I have the same problem. Started after they first swapped the radiator and then motor swap. The guy who did my motor, said I had to replace the radiator and the lines at the same time. I'm thinking it might just be the lines since the rad is/was brand new. Also, at this point i think i've lost enough fluid that I need to add, but haven't got time or knowledge or tools for it.

I cant see it being the radiator in your case. I read in another thread that these fittings leak because Ford only has one small O ring, and the aftermarket replacements have two.

Mines not leaking from the radiator though, but from where it screws into the trans. I am having trouble finding those lines though. Cant find any to be honest.

I cant see it being the radiator in your case. I read in another thread that these fittings leak because Ford only has one small O ring, and the aftermarket replacements have two.

Mines not leaking from the radiator though, but from where it screws into the trans. I am having trouble finding those lines though. Cant find any to be honest.

I tried looking for them at some point and doesn't look like mine. mine go from trans directly into the radiator as far as i can see. The only lines i've found were from trans to a small cooler.

Back