Trans question

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi Guys
I have a 06 explorer with the 4.0L V6. The tranny is acting up. It’s the 5r55s. I found a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.6L v8 with a good tranny. I was wondering if this tranny will fit in my explorer?

Thank You

It will not. The V6 uses a different computer that can't run the 6R60 six speed transmission you are looking to install. Also, the bell housing, mounting points etc. are different. How many miles are on your Explorer? Are you the original owner?

It will not. The V6 uses a different computer that can't run the 6R60 six speed transmission you are looking to install. Also, the bell housing, mounting points etc. are different. How many miles are on your Explorer? Are you the original owner?
My explorer has almost 296,000 on it. The motor is running strong. I put this transmission in it 2 years ago. The transmission was replaced before I got the explorer. The transmission that came out of it I still have. It sometimes would go in reverse and sometimes it wouldn’t. The transmission that is in it now when it’s cold it will not move or when you stop at a stop sign or light it will slip out of gear. The transmission has no leaks and full of fluid.

thanks

If you still have the old trans, have that one rebuilt. Use the truck until its done, then all you have to do it drop and swap.

Back