Trans swap from 96 explorer to a 96 mustang | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans swap from 96 explorer to a 96 mustang

seahawksfan

Reaction score
City, State
seattle washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 awd explorer
as the title states.. is this possible from all i have been able to find out the tranny is the same in both cars and the engines are the same but the explorer uses a different top end and other tuning parts to not be a sport engine.

what i want to know is a tranny swap a straight forward job?

my brother in law has a 1996 mustang 5.0 with a wasted tranny i have a 96 5.0 awd explorer with a bad front end problem if this swap is a straight forward swap, i would gladly sell him my tranny and help him put in it and then go buy a crap car til tax time ;)

can someone who is knowledgeable please answer this burning question?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer AWD tranny output/tail section is different and has a flange that bolts to the t-case.

I don't know how easy it would be to swap the tail sections.

thank you for the quick reply! but could you go into a bit more detail please?

anyone else care to weigh in on this i would love to see several options or more detailed replies.

i have 2 ways i can resolve my current exploer issue this one topic here is a future solution to my brother in laws problem, so please someone else care to reply?

Sorry if I missed it - auto or 5 speed?

Sorry if I missed it - auto or 5 speed?

you didnt miss it i omitted it . both auto.

as far as i know both engines from the factory are the same except for the top end, valve train, intake and such.

I just thought of something. Did your brother pull the 4.6 out and put a 5.0 in his Mustang? 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Mustang. I believe the 4.6 has a different bell housing pattern than the 5.0

I just thought of something. Did your brother pull the 4.6 out and put a 5.0 in his Mustang? 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Mustang. I believe the 4.6 has a different bell housing pattern than the 5.0

I am not certain, but I thought the SN97 was the first full year of 4.6 builds for the GT...meaning that the 1996's probably had a mix as the 4.6's became available - pretty typical for Ford. And yes, compatibility between the 4.6 and 5.0 is pretty much non-existent.

To the OP: I would guess that the bell housing, ratios and mounts may be different. Could be a big job with lots of surprises. I would check some of the 'stang forums to see if anyone has experience from the other side on this transplant.

I am not certain, but I thought the SN97 was the first full year of 4.6 builds for the GT...meaning that the 1996's probably had a mix as the 4.6's became available - pretty typical for Ford. And yes, compatibility between the 4.6 and 5.0 is pretty much non-existent.

To the OP: I would guess that the bell housing, ratios and mounts may be different. Could be a big job with lots of surprises. I would check some of the 'stang forums to see if anyone has experience from the other side on this transplant.

The SN97 (1999-2004) got the PI heads. All 1996 and up GT's have the 4.6 SOHC two valve engine.

Back