doing 5.0 swap from 96 explorer into 2007 ranger 4.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

doing 5.0 swap from 96 explorer into 2007 ranger 4.0

Going to pick up a intake with rail and everything from a 2000 for $75.00 tonight so got that covered

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to pick up a intake with rail and everything from a 2000 for $75.00 tonight so got that covered

The 99+ injectors have a different connector on them so they aren't easily swapped because of the different fuel systems. If you know those injectors are good, not too old unused(stored a long time), you're set.

If worried, most common injectors can be bought rebuilt and flow matched, for about $10 each, from eBay. I had a set given to me from a hardly driven 92 Mustang, to swap into my 91 Lincoln that had a bad miss from bad gas. The "free" injectors didn't work at all, plugged up evidently from storage. I bought a used set on eBay for about $85 which worked great, the better but still pre-99 Ford 19lb versions. Those worked as they should, lesson learned about used injectors. Be sure you trust they are usable, or have them cleaned.

I tried a similar setup with no luck. We used a 97 pcm on a 99 harness on a friend's truck and it seemed to run good. Towed a boat on a 300 mile trip and on the way back it started acting funny. Ended up blowing a hole in one of the pistons and all exhaust was white from heat. The air fuel ratio is off without tuning the PCM for the different injectors.

Are you sure it was not just a fluke? I mean they are both 19# injectors......
Has anyone taken a look at the tuning to ensure its lean? Any lean codes from the computer?

Alot of things can go wrong with an engine install to cause this.
I am going to look into this deeper, i want to see from a tuning aspect the difference between a return PCM and returnless when it comes to firing the injectors, I do not believe there is any difference. (dwell time)
(I'm an A hole I know! can of worms, shi* starter)

19# injector is a 19# injector, the signal from the PCM I bet is the same (prove me wrong so I don't burn up my pistons)
In 300 miles with a lean condition I would expect some computer codes for the banks both being lean.............

I would suspect bad o2 sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere to burn up a piston like that or really ****ty clogged injectors but in order to run lean like that a vacuum leak would be a #1 cause I believe, it's easy to have one and not even know it if you don't know what you are hearing

To be clear he was basically running a 99-01 explorer everything with the 97 PCM. This was 10 years ago when we both worked at the Ford dealership together. Yes it did throw codes but not until halfway through the trip. It was only driven a short week before the trip so probably not enough time to set the light.

Correction on the trip after speaking with him. It was a 350 mile trip there to pick up the boat. It made it there without issue. It was on the 350mi trip way going back through the mountains where the issues arose with the 5700lbs behind the Ranger. It started loosing power gradually after being under heavy load on some inclines. Then it started missing and smoking, pulled over to find the dipstick popped up and oil all over from blowing out dipstick tube. The trailer was unhooked and continued to drive the rest of the 200mi back with injector unplugged, running like crap and topping off the oil periodically. Can't do that with a 4.0!!!! Haha

Of course we never actually checked the codes when he got the truck back in the shop for swap #2, it was obvious something bad had happened . It wasn't till we pulled it apart and saw the damage and saw plugs did we determine it was running lean. It could have been a low fuel pressure as he swapped to a bigger pump with the new setup.

True a weak pump pulling that much weight can do it

If we can get someone in here with the dwell time for both pcms it would be awesome. I'm not doubting you 410, just know I've personally stayed away from mix matching systems from bad results I've seen.

5700#!!! LOL poor leaf springs
That's a heck of a boat behind a ranger

Smart to keep conversions stock like and not mix match parts, I agree 110%
My BII is not afraid :) she has been through it all

So I went to the yard today and found a 2002 Lincoln contenintal with the 32 valve intech Cobra motor in it so I got the injectors and the mass air which are 24lb and hour and installed them in the rail and took the sensor out of the housing and replaces the 19 with the 24 and since the explorer is 70 to 75mm mass air that should work out perfectly and I can keep my stock factory look but obviously the box is more opened up with high flow filter

yikes
I would not run 24# injectors in a stock 5.0L
Also I would not run them without a proper tune
Just using the 4.6L MAS is not going to cut it

I have a built gt40 motor I just got done building with an f303 plenty of lift for the fuel

You will need a tune then they will work well together :)
Looking forward to seeing this project? You should post it up!!

<---------------------------------------- Live and breathe RBV

Ok guys need a little help first I got the fuel rail and injectors as I was told they do not go together in 2007 I had to cut my fuel line back and add a piece from the 99 and use fuel injection hole to put it together now next is the wiring of the fuel pump none of these plugs go together if I turn the plugs upside down some will go in does anyone have the color codes I need to put together to get this thing wired up I'm using all of the 1996 wire harness except the part that stops right before the fuel tank and which is a square gray plug and a little across from that is a black plug that I'd a circle which looks like the same plug as as the 1996 fuel pump plugs into but nothing will plug together please let me know what you got please and thank you, Derrick

Ok guys need a little help first I got the fuel rail and injectors as I was told they do not go together in 2007 I had to cut my fuel line back and add a piece from the 99 and use fuel injection hole to put it together now next is the wiring of the fuel pump none of these plugs go together if I turn the plugs upside down some will go in does anyone have the color codes I need to put together to get this thing wired up I'm using all of the 1996 wire harness except the part that stops right before the fuel tank and which is a square gray plug and a little across from that is a black plug that I'd a circle which looks like the same plug as as the 1996 fuel pump plugs into but nothing will plug together please let me know what you got please and thank you, Derrick

The wiring connectors have changed for some obviously, but the wires will be close except for a few things like the fuel tank sensors(in 99 there was a new sensor added and you won't need it with the 96 wiring).

The connectors will all come apart, and you can swap the wires(terminals) from one connector into another, if the terminals are identical in size and shape. Each connector has a plastic lock, it will be a contrasting color different from the connector itself. That has to be gently pushed/pried out, and then the terminals can be removed, carefully.

First figure out which wires you need to use, and then use the connectors that you want for that location. That way there is no cutting of wires, no worry of splicing or soldering. Most of the wiring you should be able to do that with.

Now when you guys read this, this is built to prove a point of what can be done I have read alot of what people say can't be done and I smile because I been building engines to long so I know what can and can not work so here goes, I started with 5.0 block stock crank then I used 86 trw true flat top forged pistons with no valve reliefs then I used gt40p heads and replaced intake valves with gt40 heads because I wanted intake and exhaust valves to be flat no dish this AIDS in upping compression, next I used the gt40 springs because they are stronger than P head springs and you can tell that easily with spring compressor, next I put in an f303 cam giving me a 512 lift next I added 1.7 roller rockers giving me a 544 lift, gt40 intake 24lbs injectors and stock gt40p exhaust manifolds in the process of fabricating 5.0 shorty headers to make fit, truck runs perfect and does not miss a beat also I do not have the oil cooler or and oil filter relocation kit, just find a filter that clears the frame and you are golden as I did now I just need to get a tune Soon but but I can drive it anywhere and have ac and all in my 2007 Ford ranger

interesting 24# injectors with stock tuning?

I am getting ready to convert a 2006 ranger to a 2001 Explorer 5.0 drivetrain

We would love to see the 2007 Ranger project! especially the engine build portion?
Do share!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back