• Register Today It's free!

trans swap?

double_u_4

Reaction score
City, State
romeoville,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
the motor in my 2000 exploder is done & i was going to swap out the motor. but i found a 98 explorer with a bad tranny. i was going to switch out the tranny from mine to this 1 instead & was wondering if my trans would work in that 1. mine is a 2000 4x4 & the other is a 98 4x2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the motor in my 2000 exploder is done & i was going to swap out the motor. but i found a 98 explorer with a bad tranny. i was going to switch out the tranny from mine to this 1 instead & was wondering if my trans would work in that 1. mine is a 2000 4x4 & the other is a 98 4x2.

I would think the tranny's are totally different between 4x4 and 4x2 because of the transfer case.

ok well if i wouldnt be able to just swap the whole trans what about the internal components. he says the the truck drives but has no reverse or low gear. would i be able to put my gears in there

ok well if i wouldnt be able to just swap the whole trans what about the internal components. he says the the truck drives but has no reverse or low gear. would i be able to put my gears in there

On the outside I think you have to swap the tail housing and shaft. Internally, I have no idea. You should wait for someone that's actually got some experience to say yes or no..

ok what about a 99 4x4. my trans would work in that rite. the only difference is 1 is 99 & mine is 00. both 4x4

Your trans would work in the 99. If both are automatics then they both have the 5R55E.
With the 4x4/4x2 trans question, yes the tail shaft has to be swapped, which most of the time requires completely disassembling the trans, and once you do that, it doesnt make sence to reuse the used internals, and at that point its not worth swapping tailshafts

ok thanks. i also found a 97 4.0 sohc motor with low miles. is there anything differnt between the 97 & 00 motors that i would need to know or switch. im just trying to see what is a better way to go for me. ive found a few whole cars with bad trans or just a motor. for almost the same prices.

Back