• Register Today It's free!

Engine/Trans swap

DirtyDeezl

Reaction score
City, State
Somers CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC but it was wondering how much of nuisance is it to swap a 98 4.0 OHV into it? Buddy has a rebuilt engine and transmission I can have if it's feasible swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as mechanically? None. Hopefully the motor is coming with the wiring harness, the SOHC one doesn't work without modification.

PCM, PATS, fuel rail, and transmission wiring those will be your issues.

98 5r's are unique and really only work in other '98 vehicles. If your transmission is good, I would keep it rather than using the other one (it will bolt right up). Find a returnless fuel rail from a 99-00 OHV. Swap over the PCM and all the PATs modules from the same vehicle and call it good. Definitely going to need to double check wiring though, color codes changed throughout the years.

Thank you for your reply, quite informative. I believe I'll pass on the swap, lol. If this was just a project vehicle I might be up for all that. But right now , thats more involved than I'm willing to commit to.
I'm glad I ask questions.

replacement SOHC engines are plentiful....you can fix yours or replace it with a known good one. The 97-98 engines are problematic with the timing tensioners and cassettes in later years they got upgraded parts. You can install ANY year SOHC 4.0 in your truck from Ranger, Explorer or Mustang....... Care should be taken not to contaminate the transmission cooler lines while the engine is out....tooo many times I have seen engines replaced just to have the higher mile auto trans fail shortly after.

The engine seems to run well, its just at 200k miles and my buddy has an rebuilt 98 OHV laying around, hence the question. But this is info I now know and may come on handy down the road. I really appreciate the answers.

Back