• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case drain plugs

proradvlx

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT AWD
Going to change transfer case fluid, looking to get new drain and fill plugs. ? Anyone know/have part number for these plugs? Figure if going to do this, don't put the old plugs back in, get new. Thanks!!
2004 Explorer XLT 4.0Flex

Untitled.png

Don't know how to get new plugs, but I don't think it's even necessary. My old transfer case was leaking, so it was topped up regularly.
The plug always tightened snugly. never considered replacing the plugs, as everything was good.

Going to change transfer case fluid, looking to get new drain and fill plugs. ? Anyone know/have part number for these plugs? Figure if going to do this, don't put the old plugs back in, get new. Thanks!!
2004 Explorer XLT 4.0Flex

View attachment 340254
Those plugs are almost universally 1/2-inch NPT (National Pipe Thread) size tapered thread pipe plugs. As such, they may be used over many times; the tapered thread effects a seal, and sealant is often used anyway. Teflon pipe thread is good. Your plugs are this type:

1630782972129.png

The type having male-type heads are also usable:

1630783060652.png

There is a possibility that some applications might use metric thread plugs, but I have never encountered any in any of my work.

Back