transfer case question please help me anybody | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transfer case question please help me anybody

kgb424

Reaction score
City, State
Minden Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazada Navajo LX
I got A 91 navajo,I pulled the shifter motor out,put power across the yellow and orange wires the motor turned all the way to the stop,then switched the power it turned all the way to the other stop,put the motor back on pushed the 4 high button it shifted to 4 high I pulled the motor off, the transfer case was in the 4 high postion,but it will not shift into 4 low,took the motor apart the rubber piece on the spur gear was still there and in good shape, so its not the shifter motor, I turned the transfer case by hand, it will go into 4 high, it will go into 4 low, then back to 2 high no problems turning it by hand.the question is why won't it shift into 4 low,first I put it into 4 high, foot on the brake,tranny in neutral pushed the four low button nothing no light,nothing, when you push the button for 4 high it will buzz then you hear a click coming from the back panel on the drivers side,it does the same thing when you disengage 4 high but when you push the four low there nothing no light no buzz no click,I went by the ford dealer the service mechanic said thats not normal there is something wrong, they want to charge me $95 dollars to tell the problem, but screw that, the power mirrors and the dome light and the shift modual are on the same circuit, the guy I bought the navajo from said one day he was driving to work, and they got smoked,and they never worked again,I check every thing,I could not find any thing no melted wires or pinched wires,fuses are good,but they are dead, no dome light,no power mirrors and no 4 low could this be the reason it won't go into 4 low,please can some one tell what the hell is going on, and where to find a transfer case shifter kit, or some plans to make one cause, I guess that I will by pass the electronics and shift the transfer case by hand

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any great answers for ya, but I'd think offhand that if four high is working, that the shift control box is getting juice.

Interesting.. I dont think my dome lights work, and I haven't tried 4x4 on mine yet (front axle problem).

Think I'll keep an eye on this thread.. :)

the casing on an electronic BW1354 is different than that of a manual shift BW1354. you would have to change the transfer case to a manual one and then get the linkage and shifter from a donor truck and start drillin holes on your center trans hump in front of your console. im pretty sure.. from readin other threads.

do they make a kit that you can use to shift the transfer case by hand,does anybody here know where to find one or got plans to make one

I have a similar problem with mine. The issue is that is the disc with the electrical traces etched on it isn't aligned properly, the shift computer loses track of what position the shift motor is in. If it doesn't get a reading of the shift motor position, it won't shift the transfer case.

Rather than a manual shift linkage, I plan on adding a switch that will bypass the shift computer and force the shift motor to rotate in one direction or the other but maintain the feedback (dash indicator lights) as to which gear, 2-high, 4 high or 4 low, the transfer case is in.

i had a similar problem with an amc eagle i had. the vaccum switch didnt want to engage the transfer case so we made a pin that had to be manually pulled to engage the TC. i miss that car, it was a tank. im actually on the prowl for another eagle SX4 bc all my friends tell me that i need to start driving a car. they never said i couldnt drive a 4wd car.

Back