• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Removal

esclamada

Reaction score
City, State
KCMO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8
Is there a transfer case removal DIY guide available? I'm planning on resealing the case halves as well as replacing the oil seals on both input and output shafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a transfer case removal DIY guide available? I'm planning on resealing the case halves as well as replacing the oil seals on both input and output shafts.

My "guide" is the Ford Shop Manual. If you plan to get that involved in such work on your vehicle, why risk misinformation from others? Spend the bucks, get the Manual! imp

I wouldn't ask help here if the "Shop manual" is very detailed. If you compare how detailed this guide is http://216.189.1.23/forums//showthread.php?t=182071 compared to the shop manual, you'll be amazed by misinformation here.

I have mitchelle and haynes and those guides are not very detailed (and I consider myself just mechanically average)

I wouldn't ask help here if the "Shop manual" is very detailed. If you compare how detailed this guide is http://216.189.1.23/forums//showthread.php?t=182071 compared to the shop manual, you'll be amazed by misinformation here.

I have mitchelle and haynes and those guides are not very detailed (and I consider myself just mechanically average)

My experience with Ford Manuals is that they are superior both in content and delivery to other mass-published self-help publications. However, if the reader does not possess at least average mechanical experience, no manual will prove a "godsend". imp

tried it today and I can't even remove the 4 bolts that holds the driveshaft from the transfer case output shaft flange. I guess they have loctite on them that even my 600 lb/ft impact can't budge loose the bolts.

Not comfortable on using heat/flame since it's very close to the gas tank.

tried it today and I can't even remove the 4 bolts that holds the driveshaft from the transfer case output shaft flange. I guess they have loctite on them that even my 600 lb/ft impact can't budge loose the bolts.

Not comfortable on using heat/flame since it's very close to the gas tank.

Your impact MAY claim 600 lb-ft, but it certainly is not delivering anywhere near that. The bolts used on that flange will shear off way before such torque were applied. Mine were also difficult, but I broke them loose using a long pipe for leverage on a breaker bar. You may break a socket in this process. If room allows, use 1/2-inch drive socket, less likely to crack than 3/8.

Depending on year/model, your front driveshaft may have the round, can-type C-V joint at the transfer case end. If so, it requires stout sockets also, as they are loc-tited at the factory. I replaced those 6 screws with Allen-head socket cap screws, believe they are 8mm in size.

Removal of the transfer case after driveshafts out of the way is pretty straightforward. Bolts at front attach it to a short "extension" housing adaptor on the transmission. Trans. output shaft spline enters a female spline on the transfer case input shaft, whole thing slides right off. Unlike old days, where T.C. supported engine/trans. weight, these do not have any engine-type mount.

If you feel the need, PM me your name & mailing address and I will copy my Ford Shop Manual and mail it to you. I have this info. for 2nd. & 3rd. generation Explorers. Ask, if you have other questions, I do not have ALL the answers, but try my best.......imp

EDIT: I used no heat on any of the screws involved. I am limited to dial-up internet, VERY slow, so cannot send you Shop Manual pages by 'net. Sorry.

I appreciate the help. Sent you a PM.

I even tried my electric impact wrench, it's only rated at 240 ft lbs. No luck on that one too. I was assuming that the last time the dealership fixed my transmission (oh yep, my transmission died at 70k+) they just poured loctite on the bolts probably when re-assembling the whole thing.

I have this kind of impact wrench: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-impact-wrench-2623.html

I'm thinking of using a heat gun to boil the loctite, I think it's safer than using an open flame (torch)

Back