• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case removal

jims99

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hi im wondering if anyone has ever completely taken out the transfer case to go straight from the tranny to the rear diff. i think my transfer case is shot and i dont want to replace it, would it be possible to make a drive shaft extension to fill in the space, or is this more difficult or even impossible to do? thanks in advance.

jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It cannot be done.

The tailshaft housing is totally different. The output shaft is totally different.

Ryan

oh alright thanks, i feel like i have a lot of play in the t-case, i.e: clunking when braking to a stop and such, its just annoying.

You will have to go to a 2WD transmission and driveline. As long as your current trans is good, it will be a ton cheaper to replace the transfer case

I replaced the transfer case on my 99 sport 2 weeks ago and other than some rusted bolts and a faulty front drive shaft, it wasn't too difficult. I picked up the transfer case on ebay for $61 + $50 shipping. The only other thing you need is a seal that goes in between the transmission and transfer case. Any other questions you have or help you need just let me know and I'll be glad to answer.

Back