Transfer case removal

KPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
I'm dropping everything to change my clutch and I can't get the transfer case off the transmission. Both driveshafts are removed as well as the 5 bolts and wiring harness. The bottom is loose but the top won't budge. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try hitting it with a plastic mallet. some time's it can be a real pita to get off. you can also try gently prying the top with a screw driver you want to be careful not to gouge or damage anything.

Originally posted by Doug
try hitting it with a plastic mallet. some time's it can be a real pita to get off. you can also try gently prying the top with a screw driver you want to be careful not to gouge or damage anything.
yep, thats exactly how ya do it, i smacked the bottom of mine with a hammer and it slid right out.

I was beating the F*** out of the front bottom with a rubber mallet. Even ran a ratchet strap around the T-case to the bumper and cranked down. Still didn't budge. Going to try again tommorrow.

You can't just beat the crap out of it. There are alignment pins that sometimes can be pretty stubborn to break loose you have to try and get the t-case off evenly. For whatever amount you move the bottom the top has to move the same as well.

Back